Death

I managed to update when I said I would!

Death in this is going have the pronouns "they/them" since some people think of women and some think of a man being death and this is a nice compromise.

Death is an old friend. We've met quite a few times over my life. Some may call me crazy, and then some may say I have a gift. All I know is that death and I get along quite well. When I first saw them, it was terrifying. They just walked up to me one day and took my hand. I was probably six years old when I first saw them.

I remember them telling me that I had a choice, I could leave with them right now or I could stay. I asked them why I would leave and they told me that I was drowning. I didn't understand what they were talking about until they showed me.

It was almost like I was watching myself on a TV screen. I was sinking down into an icy lake, weighed down by my clothes and ice skates. I may have been a child but I knew what death looked like and right now, it looked like me.

I also knew at that age that you didn't exactly get to chose not to die, and I asked why I got to. Death said that I had more I needed to do, and by doing it, they would get more time off. Death also said my life would be a lot harder and more painful if I did decide to stay. Me being a little kid had no clue what they were talking about.

I told Death that I wanted to stay, that if I had more I need to do, then I should stay and do it. Death smiled at me in a proud way and let go of my hand. That was the last thing I remember before waking up in the hospital.

I had fallen through the ice of a pond I was skating on and nearly drowned.

I tried telling the doctors, Aunt May, and Uncle Ben about it but they didn't believe me. As I grew up, I realized I probably shouldn't have told anyone. I should have kept my mouth shut. After a month I learned but that was only after Ben and May took me to a psych doctor specializing in child trauma. After that, I learned to keep my mouth shut whenever I saw Death again.

And I did see Death again. I saw them quite a few times.

I saw Death when I was shot alongside Uncle Ben and made the same decision as I did when I fell in the lake. I chose to stay. I saw Death when the apartment started on fire because the landlord wanted the insurance money, I saw Death the night of the Vulture, I saw Death during the battle at the compound, I saw Death when I was hit by the train, and I saw Death when Beck tried to kill me at the end of the fight.

Each time I saw them, I refused to leave. And each time, my life got more painful. They were completely right in that fact. After everything that has happened to me, I've ended up living a long life.

So dying now, didn't seem that hard.

"Peter, Peter look at me," Pepper says and I blearily look up at him.

"Hey, mom, how ya doin?" I ask with my voice slurring and fading with each word.

"How am I doing? How are you? What happened?" She asks and I chuckle a bit.

"I'm fine, Morgan is hiding in the closet. Big guys with scary guns came and were trying to kill Morgan. I got them all but they shot me a few times," I say and choke on my own blood.

"Hello Peter, it seems as if we meet again," A familiar voice says and I turn to see Death dressed in their black flowing robes.

"Hey Death," I say and weakly wave my hand.

"Peter, who are you talking to?" Mom asks and I smile.

"I am talking to Death. Please, will you let her see you?" I ask and they nod.