The End of the Beginning | Akira's Story | Part 3

PROTIP: Akira is currently 12 years old in this section of the story. Takuma is also 12

WARNING: SLIGHTLY MATURE CONTENT AHEAD. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED IF YOU ARE EASILY TRIGGERED BY MATURE AND HARSH TOPICS SUCH AS SUICIDE AND OR DEPRESSION.

-=-=-=-

"Yeah, I'll have to hang up. I'm heading over to my son's friends to make him curry." Kurusu-san smiled arriving at the front door to Takuma's apartment.

"Yeah....yup." She hummed answering the other line's questions as she was suddenly caught off to an ear-piercing scream.

"Was that a scream?!" The other line panicked as Kurusu-san froze in shock.

"Akira..." She mumbled in shock before a wave of panic finally kicked in. "I'm sorry I have to go." She said quickly hanging up the phone and running into the apartment, dropping the grocery's on the floor as she followed her son's voice.

"Akira? What's going-..." She paused seeing her son kneel on the ground in absolute fear.

She looked up to see the most terrifying sight she could have seen.

"Akira! Close your eyes! Don't look!" She panicked putting her hand over her son's eyes but it was too late.

He'd already seen it.

After all, he was the one who screamed so loudly.

They didn't know how much time had passed until the police had arrived, but they knew it hadn't been long.

Akira didn't say a word the entire time.

Just silent in shock as his mother embraced him, clenching her eyes shut as tears streamed down her face.

"It's ok. It's going to be ok." She whispered to him but it fell among deaf ears.

That image kept repeating in Akira's head as if it was ingrained in his mind.

Those dull green eyes lost of all their color, his deathly pale skin.

But worst of all, a small blue keychain hung from his right hand. As he held onto it in his last moments; the promise keychain Akira gave him.

Soon the realization of his death kicked in as Akira hugged his mom tighter before breaking into a fit of tears.

He sobbed and screamed as if screaming loud enough could reduce the pain in his heart.

But he knew the only way to do that was to have his friend back.

'Why?' He questioned to himself between sobs. 'Why me? Why Taku?'

'He was innocent, he didn't deserve this...' He felt the tears increase as his eyes began to burn and his throat began raw.

That was the last day Akira ever saw Takuma.

And a day that would always be engraved in his mind.

-=-=-=-

Things eventually settled down, but a scar resided on everyone's hearts. Especially Akira's.

Those bullies who used to beat him up knowing full well it was only to protect Takuma moved schools simply out of guilt.

And those teachers who waved off the bullying or didn't press it for answers couldn't even bring themselves to face Akira ever again.

Hiroshi-sensei, in particular, felt an immense amount of guilt.

Akira came to her with concerns and she brushed them off as no big deal.

'If only I had pressed for answers...' She blamed herself, not even having the courage to look Akira in the eyes anymore.

Akira didn't go to school for a while, and when he did he barely spoke any words.

He just sat down, took notes and left. Not saying a word to anyone or sparing anyone a glance.

Rumors began to spread around about him, but Akira didn't care.

He'd face much worse than a few rumors.

They didn't bother him at all.

Eventually, Kurusu-san returned Akira's phone which only made the guilt way down heavier.

Takuma reached out for Akira, in those last few days.

But he didn't have his phone to respond.

"Hey, Aki? Can you come over? I just want to talk to someone right now."

That was from the first day Takuma was absent from school.

"Hey, Aki-chan? Did you not receive my message? Hm... perhaps you're busy. It's ok. I'll wait. Please come over when you get this."

The third day without seeing Takuma.

"Hey, Aki...do you think people would care if I just...dissapeared?"

The guilt clawed at the black-haired boy as he read the old unopened messages. He could have stopped this, but he didn't.

He felt the need to cry again, but his eyes already burned from the previous episodes of tears and he was pretty sure his body simply didn't have enough fluid to make tears stream from his face again.

So instead, he just sat leaning against the wall in absolute silence. Rereading the messages as if they were the only remnant left of the small brunette boy.

"Please come over Aki, I need you right now. Please."

That was sent on the 5th day of Takuma's absence...

"To be honest, Aki. You're probably the only one in this world who actually gives a damn about me. I still have the keychain you gave me, that's probably the only thing keeping me sane right now. I really miss you. Please come over."

All ignored.

He begged and pleaded for his friend to come and save him, but Akira couldn't.

He wasn't there when his friend needed him.

And that left a heavy feeling in his heart.

One that could never be removed.

"Akira."

"I'm sorry."

"I broke our promise."

-=-=-=-

(A/N: So I get the feeling people are wondering as to why this segment was added to the story? 

Well, I realized in the plot of not only MY story but the game as well had little bits and pieces that didn't really make sense except they were necessary to further the plot.

For example,

The protagonist of Persona 5 has little to no backstory, and he doesn't seem like a self-righteous person by nature. Akira is the type of person to go out of his way to help others (at the cost of himself) and rebel against society's teachings. Yet he seems like a quiet and reserved kid everywhere else.

That's one complex personality for a character that has no backstory.

I like to believe that something must have changed in the boy in order to further his resolve to help others. 

The instance of a major event where he failed to save someone he cared about could have been the catalyst to change Akira into a determined moral character who fights against society to save others.

Or at least that was my thought process.

So now that the PAST is over.

We are moving into the PRESENT, which will answer all the "Why does Akira do that?" questions.

Well technically, it's still in the past. But you'll understand what I'm getting at.)

(ALSO I HAVEN'T REACHED THE END OF THE GAME SO I DON'T KNOW IF AKIRA ACTUALLY HAS A PAST AND IT'S REVEALED AT THE END OF THE GAME. I ONLY KNOW UP TO SAE'S PALACE SO KEEP IT IN MIND WHEN I WRITE THIS STORY)