[come see me]

Your gaze traveled over the many princes standing before you, skipping from one face to another nimbly. Your parents, the king and the queen, eyed you cautiously, waiting for you to make your decision.

But you couldn't, not when the one you really wanted to be with wasn't here. You knew you were being irrational, but your heart was heavy. You couldn't choose someone other than Changbin. "I-I'm sorry."

So you ran out of the ballroom, ignoring the voices calling you to come back, the looks you were given, the trouble you'll be getting into. There was only one thing on your mind. One person.

Your light steps echoed throughout the empty corridors as you tried to find him. Your heartbeat rang in your ears, feverish and restless. You knew it would only calm if you found him. If he held you in his arms as he did on many nights, away from the castle's spying eyes, under the veil of night.

Your feet carried you to the castle garden, where you spotted Changbin, clad in his shiny armor. Just the sight of him freed a swarm of butterflies in your stomach and you felt your heart ease, no longer tense. You ran to him, colliding with his iron armor when you wrapped your arms around him. The cold metal was nothing compared to the warmth of your heart. You held him tighter.

"Your highness-" your knight was confused, but you interrupted him with a gentle murmur, "Changbin. Don't."

You were supposed to be choosing one of the suitors to take your hand in marriage. Why were you here? Changbin decided he'd rather not know. He'd visited the garden to drown in the sorrows of his twisted love story. Why did he have to fall for the princess? Why did he have to fall for someone who can't be with him? Why did he have to fall for the very person he was sworn to protect and protect only? Changbin wrapped his arms around your delicate figure, thinking there was nothing more important than providing the comfort you needed.

"I," you began, voice weak with the tremble of tears. "I don't want any of them, Changbin."

"I want you," you whispered, closing your eyes and imagining another life where you weren't a princess and Changbin wasn't just your knight. A life where you didn't need to hide.

"You know you can't," Changbin muttered softly, trying his hardest not to let his feelings get the best of him. What would the other kingdoms think if the princess settled for a knight, turning down all the princes that asked for her hand? In his eyes, you were a goddess and he was unworthy of your love, which you gave him so generously and openly. You never closed the gates, never closed your fists on that love and he often found himself overwhelmed by it, drowning in that depthless sea. Yet, there was nowhere Changbin would rather be.

"I don't care," you sniffled, pulling away to look at his face. His eyes trailed over your features gently, a look you knew was only for you. As if he had so much to say, but he couldn't find the words to speak.

"I don't care," you repeated, louder and stronger, holding his gaze firmly. "I don't care about the other kingdoms, the other princes. Let them think what they want, I don't care. Let the king and queen get angry. Let them revolt. Let them banish us. Let them try to break us apart. I don't care, not when it means it'll be you."

You could hear guards approaching, presumably looking for you, but your attention was on the knight who took your breath away. Who cradled your heart in his arms, forever his. All those forbidden smiles. Those forbidden kisses. Those memories. Those nights. There was no one your soul yearned for more than him.

"I choose you, Changbin."