[take me down]

You were so close to the edge of the cliff when you heard a shriek beside you and a splash of water. You didn't have to look to know it was Jisung, the leader of your rival team, having lost his grip on the slippery rock.

A triumphant cheer erupted in your head as you clutched your team's flag and moved upwards. You'd win. If anyone was escaping this damned island, it was your team, you thought as the edge became within your vision.

Just a little higher and you'd be able to throw your flag and win this dreadful mission. One more step closer to freedom.

But you heard frantic shouts from the ground, clear despite the roar of the violent river. Jisung's team.

You dared to look below to find them banging on the magical shield that separated them from their struggling leader. A strange feeling washed over you. It sent shivers down your spine. You realized, with a hollowing heart, what was happening between the vicious waves. Jisung was drowning.

You looked to your other shoulder, spotting your teammates with expressions of panic and confusion plastered on their faces. They knew, as well as any of you, that Jisung wasn't a great swimmer, let alone competent enough to fight the strong stream.

You gulped, eyes trailing back to the water and Jisung's thrashing figure. Your muscles screamed from the effort of holding on to the wet cliff; you were exhausted after the cruel challenges that led up to that moment. You've been through so much, and only a few rocks stood in the way of victory. But down there, Jisung was fighting for his life.

You might've arrived at the island as strangers and rivals, but throughout the past months of fighting for an escape, you've grown closer. You've lost many to the island, friends you've known and cherished were gone forever. You didn't want to lose more.

Yes, Han Jisung was your opponent, but not your enemy. The island might let him die, but you wouldn't. There must be another way out of this whirlpool. No one has to die. We can escape, together.

You shut your eyes tightly, letting their shouts mix with the rumble of the river in the background. With newfound dedication, you strained your muscles, hoisting yourself up. Closer to the cliff edge. You balled the dampened flag with one hand, ready to fling it over the edge and score the win for your team.

There is another way.

With a deep breath, you threw the cloth over the edge and let go of the rocky cliff, falling into the savage river after him. You'd save Jisung. You'd win.

The island can grumble all it wanted.