Danse Macabre Glossary

Abi: my father.Afarit: plural of Ifrit.Al Mamsha: the walkway. The strip of land that crosses Al Shaqq and leads to the Isle of the Damned.Al Shaqq: the tear. A body of water in the southeastern region of Darilmalek. It separates the Isle of the Damned from the rest of the kingdom.Al: similar to 'the'. Used to indicate a proper noun in Arabic.Aliha: gods.Amir: prince.Amira: princess.Amirati: my princess.Asif: I'm sorry (male speaker).Asifa: I'm sorry (female speaker).Atiba'a: doctors/medics.Falak: a giant serpent in Arabian mythology. Said to be capable of swallowing the world, but its fear of God is holding it back.Finjan: a traditional cup used to drink coffee.Ifrit: a rebellious class of Jinn that cause mischief and chaos.Iftah ya simsim: open, sesame.Jinn: plural of Jinni.Jinni: creature born of fire. It has abilities that range from shapeshifting to creating disease. Existed in Arabian folklore and later Islamic belief, it can be good or evil; demon.Kafa: enough.Kaftan: a traditional dress.La ba'as: no worries/no problem (Literally, no misery).La: no.Litham: similar to a turban, the litham is a piece of cloth wrapped around the head, neck, and the lower half of the face. Worn by old and existing Arabian civilizations to protect oneself from the sun's rays and heat.Marid: genie.Mi'raj: a monster of Arabian folklore. Depicted as a beast with the body of the rabbit, light brown-ish fur, and one or more black horns.Mishkah: niche; a shallow recess in a wall that holds a lantern.Na'am: yes.Nakhla: palm tree.Nasanees: plural of Nasnas.Nasnas: a creature of Arabian folklore. Said to be the offspring of a human and a demon. Is half a human in shape; one arm, one leg, half a head, and half a torso. It preys on unsuspecting travelers.Qahwa: coffee, used to refer to Arabic coffee.Qif: halt (addressing male).Rokh: a mythical bird of enormous size existing in Arabian mythology.Sahara (different from Sahara, the English word. Pronounced sa-hara): plural of Sahir.Sahir: warlock.Sahira: witch.Sahirat: plural of Sahira.Sahra'a: desert.Saif: sword.Sayeda: lady, miss.Shamal: south.Shubbaek Lubbaek: a phrase a genie says once they appear to serve their master.Shukran: thank you.Suyoof: plural of Saif.Tamir: dates.Ummi: my mother.Waha: oasis.Waladi: my boy/my son.Ya: used when addressing people (in English, you can simply say: Sara, come here! But in Arabic, the common phrasing would be: ya Sara, come here! "Ya" can be equivalent to "Oh" when used to address someone).Zarqa'a Al Yamama: a woman with sharp wit and perfect intuition existing in Arabian folklore. Her striking blue eyes are her most notable physical feature.Zumurruda: emerald. The gemstone that guides its bearer to the Sahira's Heart.