[a song in every breath]

[From the world of 'An Angel's Guise' by lavendersung]

Chan knew, from the moment your pendant lost its light and dimmed like a blown-out candle. He lost the very person he was assigned to protect, mere hours before finally parting ways—before he did what would tip the worlds upside down. Nothing compared to the hollow space that became of his heart.

He also knew who did it, for only one person knew of his feelings.

A car accident. Such a horrible, miserable death. And he didn't have the power to prevent it, let alone be there.

Chan stormed into Lee Know's abode, the feathers of his wings portraying the chaos of his pure, divine soul. He guessed the angel would be busy writing on his little notes from the mortal world, the method he took to communicate with his former Graced.

He was like them all. Attached. Still deeply caring.

He couldn't believe someone like him would do such a thing, even as he saw your book resting on Lee Know's table. Your name no longer glowed on the cover. This wasn't supposed to happen, not in at least twenty years.

You had time. So much time for all the silly dreams you shared with him, all the wishes you whispered under the canopy of stars, all the memories left to collect. Chan wanted to be there for you. By your side, forever.

He couldn't tear his gaze from your dull book. It shouldn't be there. "You went to the Library of Souls."

Lee Know looked at him in sadness, although Chan couldn't see it. "Yes. I did this for you, Chan."

"Did this for me?" His attention crashed on the angel, almost violent. "You killed her!"

"I told you to stop. I told you to control yourself. We've all been there, Chan, but you were going to risk it all as if nothing else mattered." He met his gaze calmly, much like the perfect angel he was. "I had to do it. I hope you can forgive me."

Forgive.

That's what angels did. They forgave. They defended. They gave. They helped. They loved. Yet all that burned in Chan's heart was hatred and anger towards the younger angel. It was a foreign emotion, and he felt it crawl into his heart and darken his soul. "Forgive you?"

He narrowed his eyes, hands rolled into fists as he hissed, "I can't forgive you."

Lee Know noticed it, the flicker of something other than pure light in Chan's eyes. He wondered, for a moment there, if he did the wrong thing. What if he only pushed his friend into closer doom?

But angels don't make mistakes.

"Chan, stop." He eyed the blackening tips of his wings with concern. This wasn't right.

But the mentioned angel only stepped closer, jabbing a finger at the culprit accusingly, "No, you stop! Stop telling me what to do! You messed it up once, I won't let you mess it up again. Stop intruding into my matters!"

"I helped you."

"You didn't help! You killed her! And for what? Nothing!" He didn't know what propelled him to do that, but Chan raised his hands and shoved the angel into his desk.

Your book fell to the ground with a thud.

His eyes widened in the horror of realization when Lee Know grunted, and he stepped away, not noticing the darkness that consumed his wings. Completely.

The angel shook his head, slowly, as if in disbelief. Angels don't hurt. He just did. Angels don't get angry. He just did.

He could only mumble, broken, "Didn't you love your Graced too?"

Lee Know gave him a sorrowful smile as he pushed himself up. "Very much."

"Then why- why would you do this?"

"Angels understand, Chan. I thought you would."

"I-I," he didn't know what to say, and for the first time, he felt heavy. His wings became sagging weights. Dead. He understood what it meant. He felt hate and anger. He attacked and hurt.

Angels don't do that.

The last thing he remembered was the angel's sympathetic tone and gentle voice, the only farewell he'd receive before falling to the mortal world. "You failed, Chan."

*for @skzwritersclub on tumblr