The Songless Bird | Lee Minho

"What's mine to kill."

In which a royal encounters an assassin, and she's suddenly all what's on his mind.

◤Disclaimers: a mafia/royal/I don't even know what's this anymore au. barely even suggestive but I'm putting it out there. implied violence.

◤Word count: 4.1K

The air was still

The air was still. You felt every minuscule movement around you, that of the bugs in the grass, that of the clouds above, and that of your beating heart. You evened your breathing until it became inaudible, the last step to turn you into a silent shadow. A deadly one, on that note.

The moon stood witness to yet another crime you were about to commit, it was almost as if it looked down at you sadly, but you've gotten used to that look. You were glad it never told on you as you leaped into the open window. You landed on your feet soundlessly, peering around you to find the prince you've been assigned to murder.

The darkness of the room didn't bother your eyes, which have been trained to see in the darkest of dungeons. Yet, you couldn't make out the figure of your target. You expected him to be asleep at such an unholy hour of the night. Why then, is the bed in the middle of the room flat and neat?

"I've been expecting you," a voice, so rich and smooth, came from a corner of the room and you snapped your head in the direction of the sound instantly. A figure emerged from a chair turned towards the wall, which you've foolishly deemed empty.

Moonlight, your shy companion, streamed into the room from the open window and illuminated his face in heavenly glow. Sharp features, so perfectly shaped that it seemed like the gods sculpted his face personally. You knew that the prince is handsome, you've heard ladies gush and swoon after his parade crossed town. You just wished Jisung warned you before sending you off to kill him. No one told you crown prince Minho was this attractive. You supposed the loose shirt that exposed too much of his chest didn't help much either.

Stars, why did Jisung like to make your life miserable?

"You've been warned about sending your men to the mountains," you spoke calmly, your words coming out crisp and clear despite the mask covering your mouth. The dagger in your hand glinted in the faint moonlight and you saw the prince's eyes flicker to it nonchalantly. Why isn't he afraid?

If he knew any better, he'd drop to the ground and beg for his life, or beg for a painless death, knowing very well the organization you belong to. The prince only scoffed, stepping closer to where you hid in the shadows. "Well, this is where, I'm afraid, you're heavily confused."

You didn't move when he came to stand before you, only letting a few measly feet separate the two of you.

It seemed that despite your rigorous training, your heart still broke out of its controlled beating and started trashing in your rigid ribcage. What was this prince trying to do to you?