[the show must go on]

"Finally," you sighed dramatically, ripping off your cheap gloves and tossing your long hat to the side carelessly. You'd get scolded for doing that, but it's not like you cared anyway.

"You sound like you've never done this before," Jisung chuckled, sitting next to you and leaning back on the caravan. You rolled your eyes, loosening the hideous red bow on your neck. "No matter how many times I see those kids, they remain as tiresome and obnoxious as ever. I hate birthday parties."

Jisung didn't respond to that, and when you bothered to glance at him, you found him busying himself with removing the white paint off his face. It was a bothersome task, you knew from past experiences. No matter your complaints, you still preferred being a magician over being a clown.

Indeed, the two of you were members of a moving circus—no, raised into the circus family. It was a common fate for orphans like you to be picked up by a ringmaster and raised performers in that hellish industry. Your life had consisted of endless travels, risky stunts, and sleepless nights, all to entertain the rich kids.

Your resentment for them didn't come unjustified.

You sighed when your friend struggled with the stubborn paint, due to the lack of mirrors, and turned to face him fully, stealing the damp cloth from his hands. "Give me that."

If he had objections, Jisung said nothing and let you take over. Most nights after a full day of amusing kids ended this way. Just the two of you, sharing brief moments of peace before rushing back into the caravan to salvage some hours of sleep in preparation for yet another festive day.

This night, however, Jisung had other plans.

When you set the cloth down with a quiet 'done', he sprung to his feet, threw off his ridiculous wig, and held your shoulders with a huge grin, "Wait here. I have something to show you. Don't move!"

And with that, he took off skipping to the back of the caravan, leaving you to shrug nonchalantly. You learned to stop being too curious when it came to Han Jisung. He was probably going to show you an ugly leotard of some sort. However, you didn't expect him to walk back with a tiny cake carefully held between his hands. A single candle flickered on top.

You stood with a gasp in an instant. "Where did you get that from?"

If the ringmaster knew he'd stolen from the party, the two of you were going to be in deep trouble. You couldn't believe your friend's recklessness sometimes. Jisung only shook his head, grinning with pride. "I bought it."

That didn't make you feel any better. "Jisung? Whatever made you waste your money on something like this?"

"Oh, hush. I didn't waste my money."

"Then what do you call this? Why, in the name of God, would you spend the meager coin you have on a cake and a candle?"

"Silly," he chuckled as if you were oblivious to the obvious, "it's for you!"

You blinked at him. "What?"

"It's midnight and officially, your birthday. Have you forgotten?" Jisung gave you an incredulous look, almost amused as you stood there in shock. You never bothered to anticipate your birthday. Such leisure was a privilege you couldn't afford. Jisung didn't share your sentiments. A birthday shan't be missed in his presence, yours included.

You gulped, finally collecting your thoughts. "You didn't have to."

"Nonsense. Now come blow this candle before it ruins the cake." He beckoned you over with a wave and you stepped toward him timidly, ashamed that he'd wasted his money on you.

Jisung's eyes glimmered excitedly, urging you to make a wish and blow out the candle when you expressed some hesitation. How could you resist that?

The night became a tad bit darker after the flame went out and Jisung shoved the cake into your arms, ruffling your hair with a smile of content. "Happy birthday, tulip. Stop being mopey and try having some fun for a change."

You cracked a tiny smile at the nickname, one that stuck with you after having worn that hideous tulip costume in your performances as a child. Yet, you couldn't brush off your guilt. "How much did it cost?"

Jisung raised an eyebrow, "The cake? Why are you asking?"

"I must pay you back."

"No, you mustn't."

"But I insist—"

"Fine, fine, if you're that persistent," he cut you off, putting a hand on his chin as he pretended to think for a while. It wasn't long before his gaze fell back on you, mischievous. "You want to know how to repay me?"

"Yes." You rolled your eyes at his antics and he clasped his hands theatrically, "Enjoy that cake to the fullest, and you must promise to have fun for the remaining twenty-four hours of this day!"

You gaped at him before sighing for the millionth time, biting back a smile. "Are you sure?"

"Very."

Yes, you lived in a circus caravan, and maybe you didn't have the fanciest clothes, the tastiest food, or the comfiest bed. But looking at your best friend, you thought that perhaps this was all you really needed.

"Thank you, Jisung."