Crownhill Academy | Stray Kids (intro)

"This year can't get any worse, could it?"

When their world begins to fall apart, third year students find themselves forced to overcome their rivalries to save the people they love. But there is more to a fairy tale than a happy ever after, and some truths are better not spoken.

◤Disclaimers: This is an ot8 fic, including one couple and several friendship arcs. Fairy tale descendants au. Almost modern fantasy, except that everything is run by magic. A decent mix of fluff and angst. May include themes of violence and murder. Please view the Student Handbook and read [your party favor] before proceeding to avoid confusion!

◤Word count: 0.8k

Jisung was relieved when he found your bag stuck in the leafy branches of an old tree, so much that he didn't notice the 'do not cross' sign planted in the ground

He floated toward the tree, and when the bag didn't budge with his efforts to pull it out, he threw a handful of fairy dust over it.

The magical substance did its job perfectly, and Jisung was able to free the bag from the tree's clutches with ease. But amid his success, he failed to notice the bits of fairy dust that feathered into a hole in the ground. It was closed with metal bars, and no one had been near it in decades.

No one but Jisung and his fairy dust.

[TWO WEEKS LATER]

"Y/n! Chan!"

The two of you halted in your steps, filled food trays in hand, when you heard your names being called. You could almost hear Chan grumble a mental complaint.

You slapped on a polite smile when the student journalist came to stand before you enthusiastically. She quickly flipped to an empty page of her notebook and you didn't have to guess to know what was coming next.

"If you don't mind telling us, will we be seeing the two of you in this year's Crystal Ball?"

You and Chan exchanged an awkward glance. It seemed as though everyone in the academy was persistent on the notion that the two of you were a couple. You couldn't envision Chan courting you, but that appeared to be the student newsletter's biggest headline.

Sighing, you answered her, "Maybe."

"Alright, thank you for your time!" she grinned as if she'd scored the best headline before scurrying away to find her next interviewee. You watched her with a shake of your head. School journalists were unbelievable.

"Maybe?" Chan raised an eyebrow and you shrugged. "We'll be attending, no? Just not together."

You missed the dejection in his tone. "Right."

Hurrying to sit down before another curious student stops you, the two of you headed toward your regular table. Most of your friends were seated already and enjoying their lunch when you arrived. Hyunjin, in particular, was busy ranting about what you assumed was the academy's equestrian team. "It's not fair! I can't help my merits."

"What is it?" you asked as you set your tray down next to Minho's. Chan took the seat beside you.

Hyunjin crossed his arms as a childish pout found a place on his lips. "I'm not allowed to race in the Swan Fest until I fix my academics and conduct."

You chuckled, "It's about time you did."

"You're mean."

"And you're dramatic," Changbin interjected with an eye roll. "At least you weren't paired up with a certain freckled Rarity for Surviving the Tale."

"Felix?" you had to arch an eyebrow, and when Changbin nodded, you asked, "How was it?"

"Terrible."

You were all aware of the sentiments Changbin had for Goldilocks' descendant. For once upon a time, the two were the best of friends. Until it all changed two years ago, after a disastrous walk into the woods.

You felt bad for your friend. "Can't you ask to change partners?"

"No," Changbin answered after swallowing a mouthful of apple pie. "This year's a nightmare already, and we're only two weeks in."

"Now, now, don't be insufferable," Chan said. "It's our third year. It's going to be the best year of our lives."

"Sure," Hyunjin dragged the word, clearly dubious. If he'd wanted to say more, he forgot it when Jeongin came around, flaunting light pink hair. A scandalous gasp left his lips, "What happened to your hair?"

"Chaeryeong happened," the boy answered sheepishly as he set his tray down. You caught Minho's eyes flash purple after the tray, but you didn't comment on it. "Turns out agreeing to test a new spell isn't the smartest thing to do."

"Well, the color suits you," Changbin remarked, which received murmurs of agreement from around the table.

"You think so?" Jeongin raised a brow.

"Yes, you look cute," Hyunjin cooed jokingly, to which the former deadpanned, unamused, "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

A faint chuckle left your lips at their antics. This year might've not had the best start, but as long as you had your friends, you thought that would be enough.

A commotion coming from a nearby table caught your attention and you turned in your seat to see what the ruckus was about. It was a Wonders table, you noted when you spotted Seungmin and Lia sitting there, and Yuna running toward them.

The junior Mad Hatter stopped before her friends, eyes wide and curious as she exclaimed, "Friends! You would not believe what happened!"

You were sure the entire dining hall halted when the strange news fell from her lips in a rush. "Professor Pinocchio turned back into a puppet!"

 "Professor Pinocchio turned back into a puppet!"