[are we dreaming]

[From the world of 'Row, Row, Row Your Boat'.]

Even though nobody from the Cage has met you before, they all knew you as the person who made Hyunjin smile.

It all started with a letter from you, and the smile that drew itself on Hyunjin's lips as his eyes trailed over the words. Jisung noticed that, and although he knew the answer, he asked with a knowing smile, "Who's it from?"

The assassin looked at him with a smile and after a beat of silence, he shook his head dismissively, walking away while rereading the letter.

Jisung was instantly intrigued. Hyunjin never smiled, at least not to him.

He supposed you were some kind of magician.

Hyunjin's behavior notably changed after that incident, everyone took notice of his uncharacteristic smiles and greetings. The cause, Jisung later learned, was the news of your visit to the capital. You'd moved into another town for a fresh start, as he managed to hear from Hyunjin, and you were finally visiting after a month of absence.

Hyunjin's excitement was contagious. Soon enough, Jisung was eagerly counting down the days too.

Don't get him wrong, he was simply happy for the assassin. The two might not get along as well as they should but seeing Hyunjin in such a state of joy was enough to bring a smile upon the leader's face.

When he impulsively asked to accompany Hyunjin to meet you, he didn't expect the latter's easy agreement, and before he knew it, he was standing at the side of the road with a restless Hyunjin pacing around him. The few minutes they'd waited felt like a couple of hours until your carriage appeared on the horizon.

In another time, Jisung would've teased Hyunjin for rushing to greet you, but he could only watch the scene with a proud grin.

It was a reunion that took his breath away, made his heart pound, and sent a flurry of emotions buzzing in his stomach. It was a wonder, the gleam in Hyunjin's eyes and delight that seemed to scream into the air around him. Was that what it felt like to be in love? To be completely, wholly, and utterly enamored of someone that it sang in the lilt of their voice?

It was beautiful, Jisung came to conclude with a short sigh of content.

He might not get along with Hyunjin, and that was true, but it wasn't enough to sever the bond that held them together ⁠— one honed by time and memories. As he watched the two of you walk hand in hand, a little voice in his head wished, hoping for nothing but joy and happiness for the assassin.

For, after all, he was the only brother he knew.