[ink or sink]

a/n: this is inspired by the video game Splatoon.

Hyunjin leaned on the worktable, watching you work on your weapon with his head propped on his palms. You tried not to glance too much at him and his tousled blue hair. A small splatter of pink ink fell below his right eye, which you supposed came from the Turf War he had with the boys earlier — that was Jeongin's color.

Even with such a disorderly appearance, Hwang Hyunjin managed to make your heart race. It was almost infuriating. You were sure you looked like a disaster after splashing ink at your friends and trying to cover the land with your blue, yet, your best friend simply couldn't be disrupted. He wasn't the most cautious player either!

"How was the Turf War?" You asked as you picked up your Dual Squelcher and aimed at a large target you'd painted on the wall. You fired a few shots, seeing the splatter of paint and deciding your gun has been tweaked enough.

"Fine," Hyunjin hummed, sounding like his mind was elsewhere.

"Who won-" when you looked back at him, you froze. He was watching you with a faint smile drawn on his lips and an unreadable look in his eyes. If you didn't know better, you'd think he was in love with you. You hoped you didn't appear flustered. "What? Is there something funny on my face?"

"Nothing." He shook his head with an apologetic smile, turning his attention elsewhere. You tilted your head in confusion, what was that about?

Hyunjin sighed. If only you read minds, confessing would become much easier.

For some reason, he couldn't do it. No matter how many times did he rehearse it in his head, he couldn't utter those words. What if he ruined the precious friendship you had? What if you liked someone already? He was not ready to face such humiliation.

But then came that little voice again, almost tempting him to try and ask you out. Just for a casual date, perhaps to the movies or a Splat Zones round. He could always brush it off as a friendly hangout if things didn't work as they should, right?

Right. Hyunjin turned his attention back on you, suddenly determined. "Y/n?"

"Yeah?" 

Now that you responded, he realized he overestimated himself. "Would... would you like-"

The familiar sound of the siren interrupted him, warning everyone in Inkopolis about approaching Octolings. You inhaled sharply, hauling your weapon over your shoulder as you urged your best friend, "It's an attack. C'mon!"

"Right behind you." Hyunjin stood, restraining the disappointment in his tone. He watched as you morphed into your squid form, disappearing into the inked floors and rushing towards the gates. He ran a hand through his blue hair, disheveling it with a sigh before following you through the ink.

Perhaps another day.