7: Cabin

Rose

Rose

This is a bad idea.

I am supposed to be learning about Briac not Cane, though I guess there could be a possibility that Cane was also in the same unit as Stephen. Either way staying at Cane's cabin is a way that makes me in a more personal situation to finding out what happened to Stephen, not objective which I need to be.

Yet here I am following Cane down a dirt road to his cabin that I will be staying in. I think Esperenza can hear my red alarms from here. Even my old 14-year-old street thief self would know this is a bad idea.

Cane took us down one more turn before we came upon his cabin. My eyes widening as I pulled up beside him, parking my bike and turning it off. Slowly I took off my helmet letting my hair fall out as I looked wide eyed at the blue cabin with a wraparound screened in porch. A handing bed on one side that looked towards a brook.

My eyes skimmed over the rest of the cabin, the full ceiling to floor windows on the second floor, the grey trim around the bottom windows. The house was perfect. It fit in with the woods that surround it and Spotter. Simple, true and something extra.

If I was a dreamer I would want this house. To live in, plan a family and spend the rest of my life in peace.

"You really don't have a family." Cane said spooking me seeing him watching me. Reading me.

I hung my helmet hopping off my bike and putting back up my guard that I must have let slip when I was looking at the house. Rookie mistake.

"Nice place." I said moving to pick up my bag from my bike but Cane got there first, hanging my duffle bag over his shoulder nodding over to the cabin.

"Thanks. Built it a few years ago." He said walking up the steps, opening the door to the porch letting me in.

In the safety behind his back, away from his eyes I let my eyes wonder around the cabin, fighting the images of spending time here away from constant moving around. I love what I do, love being a grifter but every once and while there is a longing for a home. A family that is real.

"Impressive." I said as he opened the door into the house, holding it to let me slip in. I took a breath clearing my face and body as I looked at the rest of the house, if the outside made me in love for my future then the inside just put a nail in my coffin. "Why aren't you a carpenter? Why are you spending your time at the bar?"

He placed my bag down on the kitchen counter as I walked over passing the open kitchen, looking down the hall to a guest room, dining room and spiral stairs that must lead upstairs to the master.

"Enjoy being with the club. Watching them to ensure everything is okay. Plus, security is better reward then building things, rather do it in my personal time." He said giving me a nod to walk around.