26: Cornering

Spotter

Spotter

The song 'Sixteen' by Highly Suspect played in the clubhouse. My rag wiped the counter while my eyes scanned the brothers, my body fighting every instinct to go shout at Rose, demand answers, hold her. Anything.

Someone blew up Briac's bike, could have killed anyone but Rose was able to push Briac and I down before we were killed. How did she spot it?

"Why are we listening to a sad song?" Rose called from the hallway, the hairs on the back of my neck sticking up.

Hearing her heels click behind the bar I turn finding Rose grab the phone that controls the music. Pepper who has sitting at a booth shrugged. "Calm music to keep us from killing people while there are cops outside and we have to make sure we talk in church about what to do first. Can't do that riled up."

Rose rolled her eyes. "Yeah, changing it." With that the song 'Sound of Madness' by Shinedown began pounding through the club.

Seeing her act like this is an everyday shift, something broke in me. My fist clamped in anger watching Rose sort alcohol, acting like she doesn't have stitches in her arms.

Unable to control myself I stomped over to look into Rose's blue eyes, her face calm seeing me seethe. "What the fuck were you thinking?"

She quirked her mouth up, a coldness radiated off her instead of the playful, I don't give a fuck attitude.

"Well I was thinking that depressing music or the usually rock is boring and over played. Plus, all brothers want to fuck people up, might have the music match." Looking in her eyes I could see that she wasn't being her, it was all closed off, like she slammed the doors to anyone trying to see her. Yes, she was closed off before but there was a little light, little something of her that showed even if I couldn't read it.

Now there's nothing.

Only a void. A void of empty emotion with her wearing a mask over her face.

Hearing the lyrics, I bark out a laugh my anger changed into something else. I can see her, see fear that is changing her. "I can read you." I smiled making her eyes thin.

"No, you can't." She growled, her eyes twitched telling me she is struggling to keep her mask on.

Smirking I shaking my head, caging her against the wall between my arms. "Music. That's your weakness, it's the only real thing you connect to therefor the moment you put on a song I know exactly what you are thinking."

She let out a hiss, "Fine." She snatched the phone, her fingers working quickly to change the song. "There, here's what I am thinking."

Moving my head back confused, a random pop song began to blasted in the bar. "The fuck is this?"

Rose offered an innocent smile, her eyes still blank. "You Need To Calm Down by Taylor Swift."

The way she looked at me reminded me of a wild animal in the corner, its lips snarled up, its eyes slowly calculating with a still body. Waiting to strike. You should never corner one but what am I doing? Poking her waiting for her to lash out at me and nothing could make me turn away from her right now.