41: Free

Rose

Rose

It has been months since setting foot in the US. What have I been doing?

Surviving.

When Esperenza arrived at the Sorrentino estate, two men grabbed me by my arms and dragged me to the Don. He gave me a choice, die now or take a con.

I chose the one with the odds, the one chance I had to somehow get back to Cane, make sure he is alive and explain.

For months I had one task for Lorenzo Sorrentino. Get dirt, place tracers on bank accounts and plant bugs on a rival mafia. Now I'm waiting for him after beating the odds and making it out alive, barely. My body aches from bruises covering it, knife wounds, cracked ribs and no doubt a concussion based on my nausea and dizziness.

"Anything?" A waitress asked standing beside me at an outdoor café.

Clearing my head, I smile. "Latte."

She nodded and walked away. Sighing I place an envelope onto the table, all the information and flash-drives the Don requested is inside for him. I didn't have to wait long, half a latte later three SUVs pulled up in front of the small café.

The man I was waiting for stepped out of the middle SUV in a three-point suit, men stepping out standing around him and looking around for threats. Lorenzo Sorrentino looked like he should be walking out of Italian magazine with his model looks and muscular build, but I know that he is the most cold and ruthless man you could have the misfortune of meeting.

Finding me easily with my hair color back to red he made his way to the café, females and males all watching the Italian. "Annabel, was not expecting to hear from you so soon. "

I withheld a wince from Lorenzo using my given name; I hated it. Hated who Annabel let the world twist her into. "It has been six months."

Lorenzo sat down at the other end of my small table, his men taking other tables around us in case a threat tried to take out their boss. The waitress walked over to the table, her eyes batting to the Italian and shirt unbuttoned letting her cleavage show. "Anything for you handsome?"

"Cappuccino." Lorenzo answered with a smile to the waitress and then looked to me, his hands picking up the envelope on the table. "I am aware of it being six months. I hope you did not rush your undercover work to make it back to a biker?"

I sat straight in my chair, his eyes unwavering. My soul felt as if he was reading it like a book based on his cold calculated look. "I assure you, Don Lorenzo, I took every precaution and will not be missed or suspected. You have all the account information for banks, personal and business, along with information on high-ranking officers. No hacker will be able to know I duplicated this information from their servers."

Lorenzo put the envelope in his jacket and with the waitress returning to give him his coffee he took his eyes of me, my body taking a breath from the break of contact. "Grazie."