24: Downwind

Spotter

Spotter

I placed the alcohol down feeling the gazes, looking over my shoulder I give the Lunas a look, one demanding they say what they are thinking.

The first Luna blushed but gave a chuckled. "I like her. She's good for you. Your too serious and she lightens you up." Amara said bouncing her son Marcus on her lap.

Birdy laughed, her daughter Lydia sitting in her lap with smashed banana on her face. "It is definitely entertaining to watch you two go at each other."

"How much?" I asked passing them some water.

Amara blushed looking away guilty as Birdy sent a wink with no shame at falling into the club betting.

Hearing laughs and the sounds of scraping I look up to see Pepper and Hunter standing next to the grill, the meat already outside as they light. Giving the woman a nod, I walk away to be upwind so I won't smell anything.

I found myself against my bike watching everyone's interactions, seeing if anything was different. watching Briac walk to the table my thoughts drifted back to our conversation, military and Rose. Everyone runs from something, sometimes it matters what you run from but mostly it matters what you become when you run. And where.

Rose may be trying to rebuild her life.

Or she is a threat.

"Here." A pleasant voice appeared next to me. Turning I found Rose with half her hair up, those wisps dancing in the breeze as she held up a plate with a burger on it. "It's a veggie one with mushrooms, risotto and avocado or something like that."

I took the plate carefully inspecting it making her laughed. "I didn't cook it. I asked Raven to warm it up in the kitchen so it's safe to eat."

Part of me wanted to be grateful, I could hear my mother's voice in the back of my head telling me to be a gentleman, to say thank you and appreciate the things people do for us. But instead I felt angry.

"I don't need you to pity me and bring me food in case I snap." I growled.

"You think I pity you?" Rose asked, the wind shifted blowing her hair into her eyes. Those blue and gold eyes, Briac's voice mentioning Hollywood came up but I shook it away. Fucking red head. "People live or they die. I don't pity you for how came out Cane. Just trying to take a page out of your book and do something nice."

She turned to walk away but my arm wrapped around her waist pulling her to me, her eyes snapped up defiantly waiting for me to snap at her again.

I focused on my breathing, my heart rate slowly being brought down as I looked at her. "Not used to being seen."

Rose's image changed when remembering that Briac told me that 'Rose Doe' doesn't exist. Feelings of anger returned to me, is she lying to me? Playing me like she would when she steals from people? Am I blinded like Briac keeps saying?