23: One, Two, Three

Really sorry I am behind in updates, life is crazy. 

Rose

Rose

I could feel his heat, leaning on the counter I cross my legs and look over my shoulder glaring at Cane. Tonight, I'm the grifter and he is a few feet away giving me a look that has me fighting every desire to go tear his cut off and let him have me.

Puffing out my chest I bite my lip, he wants to play I'll play. His eyes darkened, his fingers tapping his wrist making me laugh and get back to work.

Smoke grunted into his coffee mug, scowling across the counter. "Too many fucking couples."

"Uh..." I started stunned from the word 'couple'. "I'm not in a couple."

He raised a brow, his arm reaching out taking his knife that I had lifted off him to use as a hair clip. "You aren't no club girl and Spotter doesn't fuck girls to get an edge off. Might not be a couple, but close enough."

My jaw dropped from the shock of his words, Cane and I a couple? Where the fuck did that come from. As my hair fell back onto my shoulders I brought back my composure. "We are having fun, not going on dates and talking about our future."

He hummed not convinced at my words. "This is Spotter we are talking about, he doesn't sleep with anyone for a simple fuck."

I wipe the counter to keep myself busy. "Maybe you have been nomad for too long, forget what people are really like. Now you take a simple thing like friends with benefits as soon to be married couple."

"Not saying you're going to be married, just saying there's more to you and Spotter than fuck buddies." He emptied his coffee cup, my hands taking his mug placing it in the dish bin. "Fucking can't wait to get back on the road and away from conversations like this."

"You brought it up." I leaned over the counter, staring into his dark black eyes ready to turn the tables on him. "When you return to being Nomad are you running to something. Or running from someone?"

My eyes flickered to where Princess was talking to Birdy with her baby on her hip as they walked towards the doors to go outside. Glancing back to Smoke I smirk as he watched her from the corner of his eyes, looks like there is one thing he is not subtle towards.

Slowly his eyes came back to me, his face hardened from me bringing up Princess. My shoulders gave a shrug as he started this by bringing up Spotter and I. "There are some people in our world that are here to do the right thing and watch out for those who can't fight for themselves. Then there are people we love this life, revel in its chaos and violence. Those people do not deserve the first."

"You talking about me or you?" I fought against the beating of my heart, my throat tightening when a voice in the back of my head agreed; his words etching themselves in my head from my care for Cane knowing I shouldn't.