DI: 3

For the past four days the only thing that seemed to stain my mind was Kai. There was no explanation on why he just was maybe it was the butterflies he unintentionally gave me or my childish ways of liking a boy. Walking into the run down apartment complex I covered my nose when the scent of cigarettes filled my nostrils.

Walking down the hall to get to my apartment the lights flickered making the graffiti on the half painted walls visible. Pulling out my house keys I unlocked the door and closed it behind me. The smell of alcohol instantly hit my nose while my mother laid out on the couch. Looking down I seen two bottles completely emptied.

Soft snores escaped her lips as she laid curled up I walked to my room and got my extra cover from off the bed to cover her up. After my dad went to prison my mother picked up on a bad habit: drinking. Even though they went through things and she was cheating she loved him and him leaving did something to her. To make matters worse once my dad finally got out he got with somebody else and started another family.

My mother started talking to a lot of men not really caring who they were just to get under his skin but it wasn't doing much. Once my mother realized that she "met with terms" you could say. You ever had a parent that would drink so much you were waiting for them to pass away? I've mentally prepared myself for my mother's death, which was pretty sad. But aside from that she's a great mother I'm talking about she did everything in her power to make sure I always got what I wanted even when she didn't have a dime. My mother was a big help with being there mentally and emotionally for me. Anything that I've been through she was by my side, literally my other half.

Walking into my room I threw my book bag on my grey covers. Kicking off my shoes and having a quick stretch session I wrapped my hair in a scarf and bonnet before changing my clothes and getting comfortable in bed. My eyes darted around the quiet room and I grabbed the remote, turning on the tv. Flicking through the channels I stopped on ION television and turned it up seeing criminal minds pop up on the screen. My phone dinged with a notification from Instagram when I seen what it was I damn near jumped out of my own skin.

[AmoraJwett_]: YounginK1 has requested to follow you.

Looking up I smiled and debated on accepting his friend request. Opening my phone back up I clicked on the Instagram icon and accepted him. Sitting my phone down my nerves started to get to me. My phone soon lit up with another notification causing me pull my phone off the desk. For someone who wasn't good at making conversation that day me and Kai stayed up on the phone all night. We talked about everything it went from careers, hobbies, family and relationships. It was probably one of my favorite memories with him.

***

The next day. Arriving at school I was looking forward to seeing Kai. After our "connection" he was probably the only person on my mind. While walking to class someone covered my face with their hands. Instantly I cursed them out don't touch my face with your hands it was a pet peeve.

"You wild" smiling, he laid his head on my shoulder with his hands wrapped in front of me as we walked forward. Butterflies instantly.

"Well ion know where your hands been sooo"

"Ahh you got jokes" we laughed in unison. "You got a soft ass voice" he said in admiration sort of. My voice is soft I got it from my mom and I loved it. Kai always said that was one of his favorite things about me and now that I look back at it that was probably a way to get what he wanted.

"Is that a problem" I questioned as we stopped in front of my class. He came from behind me and I turned around so our eyes met. Before Kai could respond a girl bumped into him looking back he sized her up and down and licked his lips. At that moment God was telling me that he wasn't any good but little old me so dumb and vulnerable I didn't know any better.

"Nah it ain't red" he chuckled. "I'll holla at you later" he leaned down and pecked my cheek. Being so moonstruck I didn't even realize that he rushed in the same direction the girl was going in. Mariah called me to where she was , sitting next to her was another girl I didn't recognize.

"Mora dis Tai'Sani she new to the school" we introduced ourselves and as we were doing so I made sure to observe her. When there was new energy being brought to me I always made sure it was positive. After all me, Riah and Tai had grown closer over the past months that seemed to fly by including Kai and I we actually ended up dating. Everything that I had dreamt of with him came true but what ended up happening ruined everything.

And this is where the story gets good.