Philosophy~ Chapter 68

(Sorry this is shorter, I am working on the next chapter.)

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked Steve as the two of them chop logs of wood. I sat cross legged on a log across from the men.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve  responded.

Tony sighed before he spoke again. "Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him." Tony picked up another log to chop

Steve placed his axe down to grab another log too. "'Earth's Mightiest Heroes.' Pulled us apart like cotton candy."

"Seems like you walked away all right." Tony retorted.

"Is that a problem?" Steve challenged, not liking where Tony was taking the conversation.

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned." Tony quipped. I took my opportunity to speak up after Tony said this.

    "Dark side? Darkness is relative is it not? A dark side is decided based on what you see normally from a character and what you think is a positive about their character." I declared. Tony glanced from me then back to Steve, making a face that conveyed that he found my philosophical question interesting.

    "Well let's just say you haven't seen my dark side yet." Steve turned the conversation back to it's main course.

"You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?" Tony's voice began to grow louder.

"Well I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question." Steve snaps.

"Banner and I were doing research." Tony argues, but Steve is quick to rebut.

"That would affect the team."

"That would end the team. Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the 'why' we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?"

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." Steve grew quieter, but remained frustrated. I jumped off the log I was sitting on and approached the men.

"Innocent people die everyday! To buy new pipes for plumbing before any sign of flooding is hasty and can be a waste of money, but to leave the plumbing alone and not attempt to stop the flooding until the area is already ruined is useless and costs money. Is it better to be prepared for something that doesn't exist or wait until the shoe drops and be slow to pick it up again?!" I bellow, catching both men off guard.

"I'm sorry," Clint's wife, Laura then cuts in. "Mr. Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might..." Tony quickly cut her off.

"Yeah, I'll give her a kick." Tony walks towards the barn before he pauses and speaks again. "Don't take from my pile." Tony told Steve. I sighed and took a step back, away from Steve. I moved to sit on the log again as Steve began to speak to me.

"I almost forgot how philosophical you can be." He spoke softly with a small smile. My grin widens as I respond.

"Why ask a question that has an easy answer? You cannot know everything but if you want to truly learn more ask the questions that have not been asked before." Steve raises his eyebrows in surprise before he gives me a closed mouth smile and turn back to his pile of wood that needed to be chopped.