Cradle~ Chapter 69

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing." Fury spoke as he prepared a drink for himself in the kitchen.

Steve spoke as he leaned against a door frame. "What about Ultron himself?"

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though." Fury responded, not looking up from what he was doing.

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asked from across the room.

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway." Fury answered.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." said Tony.

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that." Retorted Fury. As they carried on with their conversation, discussion details that made no difference to me. Natasha was sat at a table in the middle of the kitchen, Clint leaned against the counter, Tony leaned against the wall, Bruce simply standing, and Fury paced around the kitchen. I leaned my back against the wall, head almost touching the ceiling as my body floated in the air.

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha's question caught my attention.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is." Fury responded, not clarifying whether or not we have an ally.

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our 'unknown.'" Tony spoke up.

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Natasha said to Fury.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard." As Fury said this, my cheshire grin grew. Very rarely does it diminish.

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Said Natasha, teasingly.

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve glared at the red head.

"So what does he want?" Fury quickly redirected the conversation back on course.

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Steve replied.

"Like Build-a-Bear!" I chirp.

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it." Tony spoke, distracting everyone from my contribution to the conversation.

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Natasha said to Bruce and Tony.

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve." Bruce concluded.

"Like a pokemon? Doesn't he need like some type of crystal thingy? I don't know, I never actually got past episode two. I was so invested in Meowth, what is his backstory?!" I yell.

"How?" Fury asked.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce asked dramatically.

~Time Skip~

As everyone had their own chores to do, I was tasked with transporting weaponry and other importation materials from place to place. Fury seemed to love taking advantage of my ability to teleport and fly. As soon as the team was ready, Steve was dropped off at Ultron's hideout, Tony stayed at the base, and Clint in a jet. I stayed invisible as I flew around the city, helping Natasha search for Ultron.

"I got a private jet taking off, across town, no manifest. That could be him." Natasha reported.
Clint quickly corrected Natasha.

"There. It's the truck from the lab. Right above you, Cap. On the loop by the bridge. It's them. I got three with the Cradle, one in the cab. I could take out the driver."

"Negative! If that truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron." Steve quickly vetoed Clint's idea. Over the intercom I hear a quiet thump.

"Thump thump on the dump truck." I giggle.

"Y/n?" Tony spoke.

"Yes?" After saying this, I hear a sigh come from his end.

"Just please focus."

"Tony, there is only so much a feline can do, be patient." I scold him like a mother scolding a child being too impatient. After several seconds of loud noises coming from Steve's end of the intercom, the team finally hears Steve's voice again.

"Well, he's definitely unhappy! I'm gonna try and keep him that way."

"You're not a match for him, Cap." Was all Clint said. I made an offer to teleport to Steve to help him out but he politely declined. He said I would be more helpful if I stayed doing what I was doing so that I could remain mindful of other things that require my assistance.