A Glimpse of the Future

Sorry about the rubbish picture quality, but I do love this picture of them. I don't own any of the pictures by the way.

After a month of searching Brian finally found his new home, like he planned it is out of the city surrounded by nature and on a private road. And he is glad to have found a place of his own.

The divorce papers came through two days ago and he's ready to move on. Don't get him wrong he didn't mind staying at Freddie's and secretly he thinks Freddie was glad to have him there too. Amelia has so much energy at the moment and sadly Freddie has very little. Amelia, however, is very sad that Brian is leaving.

Fast forward another month and he is settled into his new home. As agreed Brian and Freddie set up a day for Amelia to meet Anita.

Brian arrived early on Friday morning to pick her up, "Morning," he greets wandering into the kitchen where a rather glum Amelia is finishing her breakfast alone, "Where's Daddy and Jim?" he frowns.

Before Amelia can answer Jim follows Brian into the room, "Ah Brian, just the person I wanted to see," Jim shows a small smile, "Can I have a quick word?" He leads the guitarist back into the hall.

"Is something wrong with Freddie?" The glum look on the little girls face leads him to believe that this is to do with Freddie.

Jim nods, "Freddie has asked if you wouldn't mind having Amelia for the weekend rather then just for the day?" He then lowers his voice so Amelia can't hear them, "His medication needs to be upped but until he can get that medication, he doesn't have the energy to move."

"Of course I don't mind, the whole weekend?" He checks.

"If you wouldn't mind," Jim confirms, "Freddie wants to use this opportunity to get Amelia used to living with you and Anita and what will be her new home one day."

Brian knows where Freddie is coming from, it's one thing to be the favourite uncle seeing his niece every few weeks and another thing entirely to being their full-time guardian, "does Milly know that she's coming for the weekend?"

"Yes, her bags are ready for when she's finished her breakfast," Jim points to the two bags and coat waiting on the table by the door, "As you might have noticed she's a bit glum. She knows Freddie isn't feeling well and doesn't want to leave him. I just wanted to warn you so you don't think it's because of you."

The emotion behind Jim's voice is hard for Brian to miss, "I'll try and cheer her up, we have some baking and decorating to do."

Rejoining Amelia in the kitchen, Brian sits next to her waiting patiently for her to finish while talking to Joe. When she is finished she raced upstairs to brush her teeth and say goodbye to Freddie.

Getting her to leave her dad was a hard task, as Jim said she's smart enough to know what's going on. In the end, it's Freddie who quite sternly tells her to go with Brian.

The first half of the journey back to his new place was a hard one for Brian. Amelia silently cries leaning her head against the window, occasionally letting out a small sniffle hugging her bear close until she fell asleep. Looking in his review mirror to check that she is asleep Brian sheds his own tears.

If this is just her coming to stay for the weekend because Freddie needs some rest, he dreads to think of how she will be when he does pass away and comes to live with him full time.

------

It's an hour drive from the city and by the time they turn into the lane leading to Brian's house, Brian has managed to recompose himself and in good time too because Amelia begins to stir.