Never Walk Alone At Night...

So, this was around late 2010, early 2011. I was 15 at the time and I was spending the weekend at my best friend's house (her name is Talia) and two of my other friends, Jade and Shawna, were there, too. Our friend Jack lived across town and he wanted us to come over to hang out. It was a 10-12 minute walk to get there but it was 9pm, and a Saturday night, and Talia was skeptical about walking across town in the first place, so she stayed behind, but the rest of us figured since there was 3 of us walking there, we would be safe.

And we were.

So we get to Jack's house and he had been drinking out of his mother's liquor cabinet (he was 17 at the time) and two acquaintances of ours (who were dating each other AND having problems in their relationship) were there, drinking, too. It was annoying for me to be there, since none of us wanted to drink, and one of the acquaintances was drunkenly spilling her life story to me and how she wanted to break up with her boyfriend because she was in love with her ex, yada yada yada. Basically shit that I didn't care about. I barely knew this girl. But I listened and tried to help her through her drunken banter while we were there.

So, 11:30pm hits and Jade and Shawna decide to call Talia's mom (who treated us as if we were her own children) to come pick us up because of course, no one wanted to walk back at almost midnight, even with there being 3 of us. The drunk girl didn't want me to leave, so I felt bad and stayed behind and told Jade and Shawna that I'll just walk back later on. I didn't have a concept of fear. I was (according to rumours at school) one of the most intimidating girls in our class, always carried a pocket knife on me, was going through my goth stage, etc etc. I knew the town like the back of my hand so I didn't think it was such a big deal.

I finally leave. And this is where it gets creepy.

So I'm walking back across town to Talia's house, by myself, texting Jade the whole time to make sure she was still awake so she could open the door for me. It was 12:30am and I was walking fairly fast, almost jogging, because I had a bad feeling about being out by myself, so I kept up the pace.

I make it to Main Street in the town, and Talia's house was 2 or 3 blocks away from it, a straight shot. I look both ways before I crossed Main Street, and there was one car coming from my right in the distance, driving about 45mph, so I bolted across the street before the car came up and as soon as I did that, the car comes to a screeching halt, and whips itself onto the road that I was walking on.

Luckily, I heard the screeching tires, and my instincts kicked in, so I darted into the bushes in front of someone's house, because my brain quickly comprehended that something just didn't seem right about a car driving so fast down the road (speed limit in town was 25mph) at this time of night, then making this quick turn out of nowhere.

I stayed crouched in the bushes (they were thick bushes and like I said, I was going through my gothic phase so I was wearing all black and I had the night to my advantage) and watched this car slowly creep down the road next to the house I was hiding outside of, almost like the people in the car were looking for me. I held my breath. I watched it continue down the road and turn around in a parking lot, then watched it head back up to Main Street.

As soon at that car got to the stop sign opposite from where I was going, I bolted.

I never ran so fast in my life, all the while I'm texting Jade with my difficult flip phone, telling her to "OPEN THE DOOR. NOW."

Everything was like it was on cue. I make it to the front steps of Talia's house and as soon as I got to the first step, Jade opens the door, and that same car comes FLYING down the road that I was on, hitting the gas and revving the engine, passing the house. Almost as if the person/people in the car were mad. Jade sees me out of breath, barging into the house; asking me all of these questions, and as soon as she locks the door, I told her everything.

The next morning, I told Talia, Shawna, and Talia's mom about what happened and Talia's mom went white.

Apparently, a man had been caught a few towns away from ours for stalking and assaulting another woman, and around the same, late hours of the night. She pulled the news report up on her phone and we read it and that same car was in the news report.

I do apologize for the long story. But I'm 21 now and I own a gun, and thinking about this still gives me shivers to this day. I can only imagine what could've happened if I didn't go with my gut that night.

So creepy guy who likes to stalk and rape women, LET'S NOT MEET.