8.Memories

Stiles has long since become accustomed to waking up a certain way - drenched in sweat, shaking wildly, throat sore from screaming his way awake.

He can feel nightmare pulling him under so many layers where he forgets that it's an nightmare. But today was different. Before he could loose his own Power on his dream and was wrenched awake. his attention was diverted by a sound he can't describe. He started following it. Soon he realised it's ocean and jungle's sound. He tries to follow it, the voice gradually getting louder until he realises that it is coming from outside him, back in reality. With a deep breath and forces himself all the way out of his dream, blinking open his eyes to his dimly lit bedroom in Stark Tower. He slumps back against the pillows, focusing again on what brought him from from his dream. Closing his eyes, he feels his lips tilt up.

"Jarvis you are the one playing this music?"

The vents huff in what almost sounds like relief. "Good morning Stiles. Pardon my intrusion. You were beginning to appear alarmingly distressed. I did not mean to overstep, but thought maybe just a calming voice could help. It helps when I play it to Sir, and this is one of his favorites."

"It's one of mine too." Stiles remarks quietly. "My mom and I used to go on beach together" Stiles sinks into the memories for a moment, bittersweet as they are. "Hey JARVIS? Thank you. This is infinitely better than the way I normally wake up."

"You are most welcome Stiles. If you like I can add this to your care subroutine for future reference."

"You have a care subroutine for me?" Stiles asks, intrigued.

"I have a care subroutine for all the residents in the tower. It is my job to ensure the well being of the people inside the tower. I may have... adapted that guideline to include emotional well being in addition to physical."

"I think it is nice that you care about everyone JARVIS. Go ahead and add that to my list or whatever. I'll give you some of my books to add as well... wouldn't want you to get bored playing same music all the time. Oh, and JARVIS?"

"Yes, Stiles?"

"What Clint said yesterday? About the judgement call? That applies to me too. You actually do care, and you are smart enough to make good calls. I trust you to make them for me when you feel it's important."

"Thank you for your trust Stiles. I'll do my best to remain worthy of it." JARVIS responds solemnly.

"You know, I am actually starting to believe you guys are..." Stiles says slowly. Then, knowing better than to attempt to go back to sleep, Stiles sits up and swings his legs out of bed. "What time is it JARVIS?"

"4:37 am."

"Huh, that's more than I normally get." Stiles says, standing and stretching. He heads into the bathroom and rinses off quickly before he throws on some of his new clothes and heads in search of coffee.

Stiles stares at the temperamental looking Mr. Coffee in the kitchen for a long moment. The thing looks older than Stiles and he would bet there were at least a couple of tricks required in order to get a standard cup of coffee out of it.

Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, Stiles concedes defeat and decides to try his luck on the common floor. He freezes just outside the elevator when he realises the floor is not empty like he imagined.

"Come in stiles I won't bite"

Stiles snorts at the irony in that sentence, unintended though it was, and unglues his feet from the floor. "I don't think you're gonna bite me." He counters. "I just didn't want to bother you."