14. Step Toward Hell

A half hour of rough sparring later, Phil is feeling more settled in his skin. He is still horrified and furious, but no longer feels a split second from exploding. Bucky seems to have settled too, and even Clint, Issac is still shocked on how much he didn't know even after being there, Steve and Natasha look calmer. The six take quick showers and change into comfortable clothing before heading back to the common floor.

The time away seems to have been good for everyone, Phil notes with relief. He is a little worried about how rough telling this is on Stiles but he know it's doing good to Stiles. His nephew already looks lighter, gleefully questioning Thor on everything from Asgard's architecture to the truth behind the Norse myths he has read. Thor is answering everything Stiles asks, perched calmly at the counter. Thor is showing a kind of respact towers Stiles that he didn't show anyone else. Phil notices Sam keeping a careful eye on the two as he sets the table, and sighs in relief. He knows Thor is a good man, but it will be some time before he trust the god with his nephew.

Stiles's questions are interrupted by the sound of a timer. He opens the oven and pulls out a quiche that smells heavenly. The quiche is quickly added to the table, joining an abundance of food. Stiles surveys the offerings and glances at Bruce and Sam before smiling.

"Food's ready guys."

The Avengers converge on the table. Phil settles next to Stiles and gives his nephew a quick side hug. "Thank you. It all looks and smells delicious."

Stiles pinks at the compliment. "I figure you guys are listening to me ramble - you deserve a good meal to keep you going." He says, shrugging.

"You honor us with the trust necessary to share your burdens. Especially in regards to myself, when I have done nothing worthy of such. It is us who should be rewarding you with such a feast." Thor remarks from the other end of the table.

"Uh... " Stiles and issac blinks rapidly at Thor.

"Don't worry." Phil says with a smile, serving both himself and Stiles some of the fruit salad being passed around. "You get used to it."

"Right." Isaac responds unconvinced. And Stiles just made a face that - he will never be used to it. He glances down at his plate and smiles at finding the contents. Phil had carefully added everything he thought his nephew would like, maintaining small portions. "Thanks, Uncle Phil!" Stiles chimes happily before digging in.

After they finish eating, everyone grabs another drink before heading back over. Phil notes with amusement that Stiles somehow convinces Bucky to fix him an extra large mug of coffee. The soldier gripes the whole time, but his eyes are soft and fond and Phil can see that Stiles knows it's just for show. They all settle back where they were, and he sees that someone (his money would be on Pepper) had placed two cushion from one of the theater room couches on the floor where Bucky and issac had decided to park themselves. Phil shakes his head in amusement and leans back into Clint when his partner settles behind him.

"So ... bad stuff went down and then everyone scattered for the summer, right?" Steve prompts once everyone is settled.

Stiles laughs. "Basically. The summer was quiet, at least for Scott and I. We didn't find out till later but an alpha pack had moved into Beacon Hills."

"An alpha pack? Like a pack... of alphas. How is it even sapposed to work?"

"You're right, Steve." Stiles explains "They weren't exactly a cohesive bunch. Lots of bickering. But they had a leader that kept them in line. His name was Deucalion."

"The Demon Wolf." Thor says, voice cautious.

"You know him?" Stiles and Issac asks in surprise.