Rufus Getting Married Part One

"Some say love is a river... some say love's a silly song... some say love is all around us... it lifts us up where we belong... some say love is hearing laughter in the rain... but on the Upper East Side, we all know love is pain."

Love sucks. I've been trying to hang with the guys but they've been busy with their girlfriends, even Serena and Carter have been spending all their time together. Dan's girlfriend isn't even in town but he won't get off his laptop emailing her.

Luckily for me Elvira and Amelia have been keeping me company but today Blair demanded my presence. I would have said no but she insisted I come, which sucks since I'm the only single one. I'm happy being single, truly but I don't need to see all these couples fawning over each other.

"I tried to be late and it didn't even work," I sigh dropping into my seat, which happens to be beside Bree, how fun.

"Try harder next time," Chuck replies , earning him a glare from Blair.

"Trust me I will," I answer which does less to amuse Blair.

"So, Bree, you went home last week?" Chuck asks, the air at this table is very stuffy. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the death glare Blair keeps giving Bree.

"Yeah. Tried to mend the I'm dating a van der Bilt fence. It didn't work," she laughs. "We're southern, so family loyalty's really big down there."

"Like slavery," Blair adds and I can't help the laugh that escapes my throat, so I do a piss poor attempt at fake coughing. "What? I'm joking. You know I'm joking, right Bree?"

Clearly uncomfortable Nate try's to direct the conversation away from this awkwardness, not that it helps.

"So what's Serena doing? She still dating Baizen or has she come to her senses yet?" He asks.

"At least he's in the right age range," I quip and he stiffens. They may not like Carter but he's my friend so I won't let them get away with too much.

"Carter Baizen? Is he in town?" Bree asks which throws me a little, why is she suddenly interested in him.

"Why the interest?" I ask.

"I-I-I heard he was away on business," she answers, I may not be the best at reading people but that girl is definitely hiding something.

"He is," I reply.

"Travelling is so important," she states, very random.

"Bree, have you ever thought about travelling... somewhere very far away?" Blair asks her but Chuck speaks up.

"I wasn't aware you knew Carter," he says.

"Yeah. Our families used to vacation together on sea island. I've been trying to track him down," she responds. Okay now I know something is going on, nobody wants to just track down Carter Baizen.

Before anyone can answer a waiter approach's us and Bree asks to order for us because according to Nate she was in shanghai last year. How riveting.

I could not tell you what she said to the waiter but apparently Blair can.

"Nate doesn't like tofu when it's called bean curd, and he hasn't eaten pork since he saw babe, with me." Blair explains. Not that this isn't super interesting why does Blair care so much when she's with Chuck. I can see the same question playing on Chucks mind.