The Handmaiden's Tale

Long ago, when European royals grew bored with palace balls they took a page from the peons, and added some pageantry. Couture and canapés are just another Saturday night. Until you add a mask. But preparing for a ball is an event in itself. Which is why Queens invented handmaidens.

"So what exactly are we looking for?" Chucks asks Nate, while we help him search his dads office.

"Evidence," he replies.

"Of what? Captains dislike of starchy shirts," Chuck smirks. "I totally sympathise, the collars chafe."

"This is all so riveting Nate but I'm bored," I chuckle spinning in the Captains chair.

"Did you ask him about the missing college money?" Chuck asks.

"Yeah, said he was moving accounts around. It was all back the next day," Nate responds, although a bit worried.

"So why worry? Mysterious financial transactions, warring parents. Welcome to the Upper East Side." Chuck laughs while a little bag of white falls out of the paper Nate was holding.

"Dude, is that?" I ask.

"Chi Chi, get the yeyo. Nathaniel, I'm shocked," laughs Chuck with a smirk. "I thought you were strictly an herbal man."

"This isn't mine," Nate replies.

"So you mean... no there's no way... I mean... no," I say shaking my head. "The Captain would never."

"Do we know that for sure?" asks Chuck.

"I mean... back me up Nate," I ask looking to Nate.

"Why else would it be here," he responds.

"There's no way," I tell them. "Come on this is the Captain. Has he ever gave you the impression he was high?"

"I guess not," adds Chuck. "But why else would he have drugs, if not to partake?"

"I don't know," I sigh.

***

Walking into Eleanor Waldorfs party I find myself in front of a practically naked woman belly dancing.

I see my mother engaging in conversation with Bart and two other people so I'd decide to say a quick hello.

I give my mom and Bart a quick hello and introduce myself to their guests.

"Kimberly van der Woodsen," I say shaking the mans hand.

"Rufus Humphrey," he replies.

"Oh, your Jenny and Dans dad," I say.

"That would be me," he smiles back at me.

"This is my date Kassandra," Bart introduces me to his date.

"It was lovely meeting you both but I better go find Nate and Chuck, excuse me," I say politely, I don't know why but I could feel major tension between the four of them.

Not seeing any of my friends I make my way to the bar and grab a glass of champagne or two.

After an hour or so of my promise to be here for my mom I go find her so I can excuse myself to Blair's party.

"Mom, Rufus, hey," I say spotting them in the crowd. "I'm going to head out now and head over to Blair's party."

"That's fine, thank you for coming," Lily reply's bringing new into a quick hug.

"It was nice meeting you Rufus", I add before leaving.

I make a quick pit stop at my suite to change dresses, then I'm en route to the party of the evening.