O Brother, Where Bart Thou?

More towers than Trump... more bucks than Bloomberg. Bart Bass definitely made his mark on Manhattan. The passing of a public figure can shake a whole town... but the real story is always the one happening in private... away from the headlines, at home.

It still doesn't feel real, I mean he died but I just can't comprehend it. I've known Bart forever, he's always been there. Whenever I think of anything that's happened in my life Bart is always there.

I've been hold up with Chuck in the Palace since we heard the news, gotta love an endless minibar. Chuck isn't holding up very well, I mean his dad died. I'd try help him but I'm barely holding up myself, if I'm not drinking I'm working my way through my drug stash.

Nate returned my phone to someone at the hotel who sent it up to me and he hasn't stopped calling or texting since so I kinda maybe flushed it in the toilet in a fit of rage.

I knows it's Bart'a funeral today but I look like trash. I've put on black coat over a simple black dress and not a bit of make up in sight and my hair in a truly messy bun.

I decided to take a few hits of coke before putting my heels on and heading out to Chuck's limo who joins me shortly after.

As soon as we arrive near the church we are attacked by Nate and Blair. They won't stop talking and it's hurting my head.

They try to help up sober up but who cares anyway. I probably look better off than Chuck but that's because I'm better at finding my intoxication.

"How you holding up?" Nate asks me and I ignore him, I really don't want to talk to him.

"Okay, walk, Chuck. Bend knee, lift foot," I hear Blair says trying to make Chuck walk.

Why is it so bright out? I grab a pair of sunglasses from the limo and follow after Blair and Chuck, with Nate right beside me the whole time. Doesn't he understand that I don't want to talk to him never mind be in his company.

"Respect? My father wasn't shown much of that in his final days," Chuck rants. I'm surprised he's even my friend with all the ranting he's been doing about my mother.

"What's he talking about?" Nate asks and I still ignore him.

"Who knows, when we found him his shoes were on wrong," Blair answers.

I've had enough of Blair's constant talking and Nate's presence so I decide to walk ahead of them. I may have stumbled a little bit but I'm a pro in heels.

I just make it the graveyard when Chuck notices Dan and comes running past me.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing here?" He yells at Dan.

"Excuse me?" Dan asks.

"He's just upset and loaded," Blair replies.

Way to go guys we are only at the church and already we are in the middle of a scene.

I approach Dan and give him a quick hug before Chuck blows.

"What are you doing at my father's funeral? Do you think he'd want you here," Chuck shouts running up into Dan's face.

"If this is about the article—" Dan asks but Chuck interrupts him.

"Do you think I care about your failed attempt at investigative journalism?," he shouts before whispering something in Dan's ear.

"Chuck he's been helping us, unlike you," Serena shouts intervening.

"I'm sorry Serena did your father just die? No I don't think so, so why do you need help?" I shout back.

"At least I haven't been hold up in a hotel room drinking myself to death," she shouts back.

"No instead your trying to play the victim card to the guy who's father actually died," I shout.

"Do you have any idea what his family has done?" Chuck adds.

"Daniel I think it would be best if you left," Cece says to Daniel trying to help the situation.

I feel like I might hit Serena if she doesn't get her act together and stop playing the victim here, she barely even liked Bart.

"No, Grandma, that doesn't make sense. It's not fair," Serena complains.

"This isn't the Serena show," I tell her, on the verge of doing something drastic. I don't mind Dan, I like him in fact but this is Bart's funeral and Chuck doesn't want him so we have to respect his wishes not Serena's.

"Chuck is Bart's son. He doesn't have to make sense," Cece adds, I knew I liked her for a reason.

Thankfully Dan agrees to leave before Chuck really starts off, I've been listening to his rants and this wouldn't have ended well.

I follow Chuck towards the church and he doesn't take it well when Lily tries to speak to him, I get it I really do but this should probably be done in private.

"My family? I don't have a family. The only person who's ever truly been there is Kim," he tells my mother before walking into the church and I follow after him. I'm guessing the only person he can tolerate just about now it's me so I guess it's my duty to be there for him. Even if I am way too buzzed for that.

During the ceremony all I can think about is Bart. I know he wasn't a great man but he was family, my whole life has just been me gaining and losing father figures. Howie and Bart were the only ones always there until Howie ran but I still had Bart.

***

After the ceremony we stopped by the apartment which Chuck wasn't very happy about.

"You don't even have to stay long," Nate says as we exit the elevator. "Just let people shake your hand. Say hello."

"You don't have to convince me," Chuck replies.

I leave them for a moment to grab my stash from my bathroom because my stash at Chuck's is currently running low.

"Can we just talk for a minute?" Nate asks me, walking into my bedroom.

"What did you have in mind? Maybe the fact that you cheated on me with Vanessa?" I reply, sarcastically.

"Come one Kim," he says and I sigh.

"Fine, talk," I respond feeling bad for him.

"It was just a kiss," he tells me.

"It was just a kiss?" I ask.

"Yes," he says.

"Then why'd you invite her to the ball?"

"I like her okay, she's...," he trails off.

"I get it. She lives nice simple life something you want and she's unproblematic like me," I say before heading back downstairs.

I spend the next five minutes drinking scotch and waiting for Chuck, who eventually comes back downstairs looking angry.

"Gotta go. Can't talk," he says.

"Go where? Everyone you know is in this room," Blair responds.

"I don't want to be here," he says.

"We want you here. I just lost my stepfather. I don't want to lose my brother too," Eric adds.

"When are you going to get it? We are not related," Chuck responds and I know he only said it because he's mad at Lily. He loves Eric and sees him as his little brother.

Chuck walks out and this time I don't follow him, instead I return to my room to get high.

"Seriously Kim?" Nate asks walking into my bathroom.

"Go away," I respond.

"No, let me be there for you," he begs.

"Whatever," I reply.

At some point during the night I started coming down and was throwing my guts up into my toilet, surprisingly enough Nate stayed the whole time and held my hair back for me. Then he cleaned me up and put me to bed, I guess he's a great guy. Thankfully when I fell asleep I had no dreams on a wedding that would never happen instead I had a nightmare about everyone leaving me.