The Age Of Dissonance

On the Upper East Side, all the world's a stage... and the men and women merely players. But once a year, Constance St. Jude's students shed their usual roles and take on new ones for the senior class play. This year's pick: The Age of Innocence. Before Gossip Girl, there was Edith Wharton and how little has changed. The same society snobs still reigned only in corsets and horse-drawn carriages.

"I just can't believe this is a senior requirement," Nate says backstage as he gets ready.

"I'm so glad I've no acting abilities what so ever," I laugh. Julian who's in charge of the play seen me acting and was appalled, or rather seen me acting as a bad acting. Of course I know how to act or else I would have been busted for being high so many times. I managed to get Julian to get my requirements from being Serena's understudy, I argued that since I can't act and I'm Serena's twin that it just makes sense and thankfully he agreed.

"You lucky but Chuck's luckier. How did he manage to get a doctor to diagnose him with active stage fright?" He replies.

"The Bass name pays baby," I repeat the sentence something Chuck had said to me many times.

"I should have gone with Mercury poisoning," Nate adds and I laugh.

I help Nate and Dan run their lines as I have nothing else to do but according to Julian even understudy's must be present at all times. So if I have to be here why not spend some time with Nate and Dan while I'm at it.

"What is this play even about?" I ask no one, I don't know anyone.

"Newland Archer who I play, is happily engaged to May, Serena's character. But then he falls for her scandalous cousin Ellen who Blair plays," Dan tells me and I chuckle.

"So basically you have to pretend to be in love with your ex and then fall in love with Blair who you hate, okay got it," I respond.

Dan goes to do I don't know play stuff and Nate meets Vanessa so I decide to grab some food. Why didn't I just copy Chuck, that would have been so much better than this.

After I grab myself some lunch I head back to Dan's dressing room.

"Did you see how those teachers treated Rachel?" He asks me and I sigh.

"If you thought teenagers were bad, adults are so much worse," I tell him before Jenny enters to give him his costumes. I overhear him ask Jenny to deliver a note to Rachel for him and I just know this isn't going to work out well for anyone.

I head out front to watch the play and honestly it's so boring.

"Upon my soul, it's Countess Olenska parading herself at the opera," Is says and I really don't know who her character is meant to be.

"It's a pity. Her life is finished," some other girl says. And I'm so confused at this play. I drown out the rest of it while I snack on my treats.

The next scene Serena and Dan are acting together so I know I want to watch this.

"Oh, did you tell my cousin Ellen of our engagement?" Serena asks in a posh accent.

"I hadn't had the chance," Dan replies.

"You must. She's been away so long," Serena replies. I still very much don't understand this play.

I've been sitting beside Jenny because as must as I've hated her I hate Vanessa more.

"Did I miss much?" Rufus asks joining us.

"Just the first scene," I tell him, while Jenny and I move over to make space for him. In the process Jenny drops something and I recognise it as Dan's letter, well shit.