The Grandfather

Springtime on the Upper East Side where the winter chill is supposed to be so last season. But when mittens and scarves are still all the rage the best thing you can do is just button up and hope for warmer days.

I don't know how but somehow Dan and Nate talked me into hanging out with them and Vanessa. It definitely isn't how I picture sending my time but I can't really say no, now can I.

"Budapest, Bucharest, Dubrovnik," Vanessa says.

"Oh, there's nothing like summer in the Eastern Bloc. Just a Eurail Pass and a backpack full of failed socialist policies," Dan replies and I'll be honestly I don't really know what they're talking about. I'm more focused on ignoring Vanessas mere presence until I can tolerate her enough.

"What's a Eurail Pass?" I ask and I swear I hear Vanessa snicker.

"Basically a train ticket," Dan replies.

"Oh right," I respond. First I didn't know what a jitney was now a Eurail pass, I guess it's because I don't use public transport that much.

"And Nate. The Vienna State Opera one day, pierogies in Poland the next. No map, no reservations. Total freedom," Vanessa says.

"Sounds fun," I respond with an eye roll.

"You should come," Dan replies and I shake my head. No way in hell am I going on a trip with Vanessa.

"As much as I appreciate that, I'd rather not," I tell him.

Once we arrive at Nate's we find Nate outside with some guy.

"Hey, guys. Hey, this is my cousin, Tripp," Nate says introducing his cousin and I recognise him from our childhood, I totally had a crush on him.

"Tripp," I say with a polite nod.

"Kimberly, how nice to see you," he responds and I smile. What's with these Vanderbilt genes.

"This is my girlfriend, Vanessa," Nate says introducing the two.

"This is Dan," he adds.

"Nice to meet you," he says to them both. "I'm trying to convince Nate to appear at the family hoodoo this weekend. Lunch today, cocktail party tomorrow. Hey, Maureen will be there. We're engaged now."

Aw man why's he have to be engaged. I've been waiting like forever to get my chance with him.

"I didn't know that. That's fantastic," Nate replies.

"Super fantastic, congratulations," I add with a fake smile.

"Thank you," he replies to me before turning back to Nate.

"You missed a lot," he tells him.

"Nate you should go," I tell him after Tripp leaves.

"I'm not going to go pretend to bind with people who shut me and my mom out when my dad for busted. Let's go inside. The games starting," he says leaving no room for complaint.

Why did I even come to this little gathering. I can't drink because Nate will be watching so that's sucks and I don't like Vanessas presence. Her and Nate will definitely be all over each other so that leaves me with Dan to keep me company.

"Now we can watch four games at once," I hear Nate say while I look at my phone. Honestly there's nothing new on my phone I'm just avoiding conversation. Dan and Vanessa won't shut up about Nate's family thing and I'm bored.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to your family reunion?" Vanessa asks.

"We know you weren't cool to you and your mom. But is seems like your cousin wants to make up for it," Dan says.