Friendship and Discovery

Wednesday
June 11th
Hang En Cave

I wake with Nimuë in my arms and her tail thumping mercilessly against the side of our tent. We sway a bit when she tries to get up and immediately lays back down. She seems to have forgotten where we laid down last night. It must be confusing falling asleep on that wonderful round velvet bed with soft blankets, only to wake up in a wobbly hammock tent. At least we still have similar blankets. I quickly help her out so she can relieve herself.

While I'm thinking about it, I grab the little box I forgot to send to Mum. I jot a note asking her to keep one charm on her and attach one to two males and two females of safe animals. Fixed or elderly must be common overpopulated animals, like cats and dogs. They can be sick, injured, or in danger. Faemála's Realm heals injuries and ailments. Saving animals will be great.

I disguise 501 of the charms and hide them in the box to be sent off. I put aside 202 for Lin and Minh. I can sneak them to Lin easily. The 145 left are for me to use. I keep them in the embroidered velvet-like bag Faemála gave me.

I remember to put some drawing items in for her. I can try to collect and hide some plant seeds and spores of orchids and ferns for her garden. I'll have to keep an eye out for edible and medicinal plants as well. Soon after I have my site torn down and repacked, Lin sneaks up behind me with a cup of coffee. Nimuë trailing closely behind her.

"I swear you are heaven-sent." I hug her with one arm, "How did you sleep?" I take a deep breath of the nectar of the gods before sipping it and moaning happily. I love my morning coffee.

"Better than at home. I told Minh we're using these," she points at the tent, "from here on out... even in our home." We both laugh. I don't think he'd ever tell her no.

"Lin, I need you and Minh to wear one of these charms, please." I hand her the bag of charms. They range in size from the size of a pencil eraser to a 50-cent piece. She looks at one, and her eyes get large.

"Cara... do you know what these are?" I nod, "They... they are said to take you to a demon who plagues your dreams." I close my eyes, shake my head, and wave my hands "no."

"Has Minh heard the same lie?" I ask. She looks surprised and nods. "Do you know what Fae are?"

"Why, yes. Fairy Princess Âu Cơ, Goddess of healing, and the Dragon Lạc Long Quân are the ancestors of our people."

"Faemála also heals and so much more. She is the one who is tasked with fixing the balance of magics, not only in our world and dimension, but in all of them." The look on Lin's face is surprise and sympathy. "Her body is frozen in a deep sleep, like Sleeping Beauty. She is stuck in that realm until it's restored. The charms allow those with pure hearts to go there physically when they go to sleep here. She wants you both to have one. The others are for animals. None that are toxic or deadly, for our safety. Preferably animals that can reproduce and need help and healing."

"I don't understand. Why?"
"It was my idea. Her birthday and the 7,000th anniversary of being stuck there is coming up." Her eyes somehow get larger, like an anime character. "She's been alone, only being able to bring those who have the potential to heal their worlds. I think animals will help. She loves to draw, too!" I pull out the field journal, and she looks at it, amazed at the artistry.

"She needs a gonyosoma prasinum and... I have safe reptiles that can't be released. I can take feed animals for the carnivores, as distasteful as it seems. I know some almost extinct animals that can't be released and won't breed, even in a refuge..." She gets excited suddenly, "Do you think she could help save some species?"

"Possibly. She said she saw you both bringing animals there. My mum, too." She immediately slips an oval quarter-sized charm onto her beautiful charm bracelet. "I'll put it on my collar at home. It's a perfect size." She admires the tiny charm. It amazes me how quickly she absorbs and processes information and how fast her fear leaves her.