Home

August 24th
Sunday
08:00

~Elizabeth~

“AMANDA!” I sweep my oldest daughter into my arms and cry.

“Big Sis, is that you?” I hear Zane ask hesitantly. “What the fụck was that? Who and what are these guys? What the fụck is going on!?!” He sounds panicky, and his aṣshole side comes out. 14 years younger, and he still thinks he’s hot shịt.

“One more F-bomb, and you’re eating soap. Come help your sister lay down. Let’s get these guys comfortable.” He sweeps her into his arms and lays her in the most comfortable recliner. “Hey there, sweetheart, I’m Elizabeth. Can you understand me?” I ask the other human.

“Yes, ma’am. I’m actually from here. Cara says I’ve been gone 15 years. I’m David, David Miller.” He sticks his hand out. I wave it off and hug him. He’s stiff at first but relaxes after a minute. I see him choking back tears when he pulls away. “Ahem. Sorry. I, uh, it’s been a while since I’ve been hugged. Your hugs feel like my Mom’s.” I pull him into another.

“Then I’ll make sure to give you as many as possible. Can you speak to these guys for me, or can they understand?”

“Oh, I can do better.” He pulls away and digs in his bag. He pulls out four bottles, handing one to each of the men and sitting one next to Amanda. I hear the phone ring and Georgia answers. David pulls a bunch of things out and covers the coffee table with them. “Here they are. Read these.” He hands Zane and I a scroll. “I have more for your family. I’m a mage and can make stuff like these. They’re safe. It’ll just help you understand and speak to them.”

“Dude, I don’t know you, and there’s some weird aṣs shịt going on. What the fụ…” I slap the back of my son’s head. “Ow! Shịt! What the hẹll, Mum?”

“My house is NOT the base, your unit, or anywhere with your buddies. The F-bomb WILL NOT be flown in this house like that. Sack up, read the ḍamn scroll, and help me with your sister’s friends. Threaten them, and you’ll get more than holding castor oil for five minutes.” His eyes get big, and he pales.

“But… but you said soap!”

“I did, but you decided to be a little aṣs, surpass the no F-bomb rule, AND you insulted guests in our house. Would you like me to have Georgia cut you off for a week?”

“Oh, and I will.” He looks over to where she’s leaning against the door jamb. She’s holding her elbow in one hand with the other extended carelessly with the phone. It rings. “Hawkins residence, are you a friend of Cara’s? You saw that too? Yes. No. Not over the phone, no. Be here Tuesday. No. Listen, I don’t give a shịt what agency you work for. We have babies and a pregnant woman here trying to sleep. I know it’s 8 AM. You know what? Bless your heart.” She hangs up and rolls her eyes.

“Georgia, sweetie, you good?” She actually growls! Zane hugs and rocks her.

“I’m fine.” She sighs after a few minutes. “Evidently, one of Cara’s friends works at a certain space agency and was at work when his portal popped up. They’re flipping the freak out. Any way we can make them look human? We don’t need any sci-fi autopsy shịt happening to family friends.” David hands her a scroll. She opens it before side-eyeing Zane. “Listen to your Mommy and sack up, babe.” We quickly read them. I feel one of my terrible migraines coming on.

“Drink these two, then this one. It’ll help you adjust. The first two are nasty AF.” He hands us green, brown, and clear-bubbly vials. I quickly down them. The brown one tastes like dirty socks and old dish water. The green tastes like a kale and wheatgrass smoothie. The last tastes like sparkling white grape juice with ripe cantaloupe. The headache, ringing ears, and dizziness go away.