Party Preparation, The Hard Way

19:00

~Cara~

We finally leave when our stomachs start growling. Tira is sitting at the counter, swinging her feet and snacking. Uldré attuned himself with the door but stayed out to care for her. It will give him good practice. I look over what he’s given her and nod my approval. She has a fruit shake, soup, and a tiny piece of strawberry rhubarb pie Mum sent. Thank heavens the food she sent doesn’t spoil in my bag.

“You’re back!” She bounces over to us with a smile. Tavi picks her up and spins her around in a hug. “What did you find?” Her eyes are large with excitement.

“We found a workshop, a private library, and,” I pull out the little trunk and purse, “presents for your birthday from your birth parents. They left one for every year until you turn 25. They don’t unlock before then. These were waiting for you.” Tears and excitement fight for control as she looks through her gifts.

The books are on beginner magic and other educational things of this world. A fairytale book of her people’s legends and a journal are also among them. She caresses the locket and looks at it curiously before putting it on. She touches the doll’s face and hair before going through its trunk.

“So, do you like them?” Amanda asks.

“I do. Mrs. VárSvík has my bracelet, though. I remember always wearing it. It matches the chain of this.” She lifts the necklace. “I got a new charm every year.” She fights tears back.

“We shall get it back. Do not fear.” Kaenaék squeezes her shoulder. “I apologize, but I would like to ask, may I borrow some of your books and have Lía copy them?”

“Yes, please do. I can let us in at night to study and sleep. We should make copies for different places, if that's okay with Lía.”

“That’s a brilliant idea. It would be safer for the tékeredi and nanú.” Uldré pats her head.

"Of course it's okay with me. I was testing it while I was in there already. Is it okay with you for me to go in at night too?" Tira nods happily.

“We’re counting you as one of the kids Lía. We’ll send the wet nurse, Xazah, in as well. She can keep secrets, and I’d feel better if she was safe with the girls.” I trust her. I’ve gotten to know her well. She took this job after losing her family in a carriage accident. Somehow, she survived. Her baby didn’t.
“I don’t want Zah-zah knowing about this.” I rub my arms and furrow my brow. The baby’s guard rubs me the wrong way lately. He’s constantly watching us. It’s creepy. I try to keep him out of our tent and away from our group.

“One last thing before we go back.” Ana pulls out a few scrolls and places them in front of Tira, Amanda, and me. “Read these. Out loud, please.” My sister and I get advanced language scrolls. Languages this world considers lost, forbidden, or dead. After activating them, we can read the writing of Tira’s people. She can understand multiple languages and can tame creatures like we can as well. We don’t have a dėmė for her, but she says she knows what she wants. I can’t wait to see what she comes up with!

“We should eat and rest.” Niliese looks as exhausted as I feel.

“I’m going to read and play with my doll. Do you think Sif and the others would play with me?” Tira asks meekly.

“Of course we will!” I look over to see eight giggling Ash’A Jheili girls.

“May I take them inside? We can play in my room!” Her excitement is wonderful, but exhausting right now.

“That’s a great idea! We would know you’re all safe while we sleep.” Amanda pats her head. “No cooking and stay out of that room until you can be trained. Okay?” Tira nods and grins.