Wings

August 27th
Tuesday
19:00

~Amanda~

I look out across the water. The sun is low but not setting yet. The light show starts closer to 8 pm. It’s pretty.

“Technically, Mum is a queen by Érishu Tí standards. Cara is now Queen of the trolls, Reveníre. My daughter is also a queen. My family is full of royals. Surprise!” I jazz-hands him. He laughs before getting serious. “What is it?”

“I just realized we can’t make this an embassy. The embassy has to be in DC. This has to be a consulate. I’m not good with this aspect of the government. It’ll be the temporary embassy until one can be found. There’s not a lot of land. Most of it is around half an acre. I’ll talk to DC about it later. Sorry, what did you need help with?”

“It’s alright, we’ll figure it out in time. I have to go back on September 2nd at 2AM. The magic will open a portal and pull me back. I’m hoping it will pull my family with if we’re connected somehow.”

“Like a vehicle? You need a van or…” My laughter stops him.

“Oh, oh my goodness. I’m sorry.” I shake my head, trying to stop. It’s cute he thinks they are just like us. “Sorry. They still use wagons and carriages, but their horses and bison are ginormous and fast!”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.” We think for a minute. “I don’t know where we’ll be pulled to. Faemála said the magic is attached to Cara, so they might be traveling.”

“We can have a carriage built.” He suggests.

“No, it might crash into something and hurt us. They have amazing wagons and carriages already.”

“We need the human hamster balls, Mom.” Andrew pops up and scares the crap out of us. “We can rig gyroscopic car seats for the littles in them and tie them together. Think it’ll work?”

“That’s actually a good idea. The portal will stay open for seven minutes. That should be enough for all of us to make it through.” I say once I get control of my heart. Rotten little turd. Good thing I love him.

“I’ll help push if I have to. I’m sure Cara’s research friends wouldn’t mind helping. If they get sucked in…” The General trails off and shrugs with a grin. I can’t help but laugh.

“You were trouble when you were young, weren’t you?”

“Who said I ever stopped?” He nudges me. “What else is there?”

“The Reveníre are trying to set up peace treaties and alliances. We’ve been using Cara’s solar powered equipment to set up theaters in the capitals. The projectors and tablets will work for a while, but a more permanent solution would be nice. We’ve also shared the educational digital library Cara has.
“We also plan to set up a school city. A lot of people are uneducated. Their world thought Epilepsy was a curse or possession. An elf, Álfrám, doctor named Kaenaék discovered a treatment that works better than our medications and has been treating his community and Cara.”

“So you need equipment for theaters, hospitals, and schools, solar panels, and instructors willing to go to another world to teach.” I nod. “We can get the equipment in time if it’ll fit in that bag, but personnel will have to wait until the portal is up and running smoothly. We don’t want anyone hurt or placed in a dangerous situation.”

“Agreed. We have some mapping drones for caves, but satellites would be amazing later as well. If we can figure out how to get them up there without burning the forests down.”

“The gnomes can help with that. I’ve seen them launch stuff, but there’s nothing in orbit. Since they have portals, space travel is a no-no. They restrict technology on the planet after seeing what it did to others. They’ve done their best to repair it.” David flops on the grass exhausted.
“They’re cool. They live in the mountains of Barri Tugöllyi. They helped find the safe home for the merfolk. They use wind power,” he yawns and stretches, “They haven’t figured solar out. You should take a bunch of kits. Also, parachutes on those balls, just in case. Helmets and protective gear…”