Mending

Dagdh’a’vaní 23rd
Sól’elogía
04:00

~Tavi~

Cara’s tears are soaking my chest, and she’s shaking. I have learned quickly that she cries without a sound. It is different. I don’t like when those I love cry, but the silence is worse. It means she hides her tears and sorrow often for the sake of others. It means she endures pain often.

“We have as well, Miwt’aku. We thought one of our Ash’A Jheili trainees was killed. Sin is caring for him in the Ascension chamber. He showed our people how to purify the injured and those in transition. We would have lost almost all our Ash’A Jheili and Bellis’s soldiers if not for him. The soldiers were a test to see if the purification would work.” My parent bow to him.

“You have our greatest thanks, Sin. You are quite the healer.” Cara snickers at my father’s assumption. She doesn’t know, but I’m happy she has a moment of levity.

“It is my honor and duty, Ámathos. The Gudalá tricked and failed your people. Denied them of their true power and long lives.” My father’s face looks up at Sin in fearful surprise.

“I know you.” He whispers.

“You do. It has been many years. Before you met Fíor. I told you then we would meet again, and the corruption of their influence needed purged. I am glad to see only traces remain. Complete healing will be difficult, but it is better than the loss you will suffer.” I look between them curiously. Ijt falls to his knees.

“I beg mercy, Sínsëar. Please, do not…”

“Enough. You have nothing to fear from me.” Ijt was shaking as he stood. Miwt’aku looks between them worried. They obviously have history. “Unfortunately, we have losses. Losses I could not heal. Poison took them, and one was set ablaze. I can’t fix what fire has purged.” His fist clenches in pained anger. I know how he feels.

“Who?” Cara asks shakily. We’re silent. I’ve been holding my own pain in. “I asked WHO!?!” She yells, startling everyone. I hold her tight.

“Azstera, Frey, and Bellis’s 2nd Lieutenant.” I whisper quietly.

“What?” Cara gasps. “No. NO!”

“Azstera and the 2nd Lieutenant died of poison. Frey, she…” Sin chokes on his words a moment. “They burned her. Ora is with her now. They came for the nanú as well.” Cara begins to hyperventilate.

“Allow me.” Kaenaék pulls a needle. “I feared this would happen.” I nod, and he injects Cara. She falls asleep quickly. I lay her back in bed and usher everyone out.

“The Capital?” I ask as soon as we’re settled in the parlor.

“Three hundred and twenty-four dead. More injured.”

“Have any pyres begun?” Sin asks quickly.

“No. They have been set aside due to volume.” Miwt answers.

“Then I shall go with you and heal those who are not truly gone. My falls and lake now contain the water to purify.” He winks at Tira. “A blessing in disguise or providence, we know not. I do know I am eternally thankful.”

“Tavi, you should know…” Miwt’aku starts to say gently.

“No.” I stop her a little too harshly. I cross to her and kneel in front of her, taking her hands. “Not until Sin gives official notice. Our people may yet live. Set your faith in him.” She nods quietly.

“You should leave now.” Elizabeth stuns us all. “We will stay here. Take our healers. The faster everyone is found and assessed, the better. We don’t want anyone prematurely burning someone who can be saved.” She hugs Miwt’aku. “We can talk later. We have a wedding to plan. I’m Elizabeth. Please, call me Liz. My lycan is Beth. Our other part is still sleeping.”