The Little Girl

Dagdh’a’vaní 5th
Inqwé’gaelaō
07:30

~Tira~

I haven’t eaten in three days again. They really only feed me during the colder times. Still, it’s only twice a week. I have to forage for my own food. Sólaeira tries to sneak me food, and Mr. has tried as well. Mrs. beats me if she suspects I’m getting too much food.

My secret spot isn’t far. They think it is, so I get to spend time relaxing. I cross the field, trying not to look happy. I don’t smile until I’m past the first three trees of the woods. I count another eight trees before entering the stone wall.

I found the wall by accident after the first time I was beaten. Mrs. didn’t want to smell my blood and sent me away to heal… or be eaten by wild creatures. We live on the edge of the wilds, and they appear often. I collapsed in pain. Expecting to hit the wall of stone, I closed my eyes and braced for more pain. When I fell on soft bush moss, I opened my eyes in surprise.

Bush moss heals. Mommy and Daddy taught me that. I thanked the bush and pressed pieces into my wounds. After an hour, I could move safely. A tree had fallen and grew over a high wall. The branches grew up, making a kind of railing and bridge. I carefully climbed the tree and entered a kalí story garden.

Plants from Mommy and Daddy’s special book were growing everywhere. Fruits, nuts, food, and medicine were growing everywhere. I sat and ate carefully. I walked around cleaning the garden beds and eating. Two days later, I went back to the VárSvík. I couldn’t leave Ben. I had woven a basket and brought fruits and berries back, hoping it would make them nice to me.

Since that day, they sent me to forage the expensive goods for them. I found out what they sell for when a merchant stopped me on the road a few weeks after. He gave me ten gall and a small sack of kawa sweets! He made me eat with him and figured out what was happening at the VárSvík house quickly.

Merchant Gus comes every month to buy from me and has helped me hide my dhana. I tried taking him to my secret spot, but it wouldn’t let him pass. He wasn’t upset. Mr. Gus said it was good because I would be safe and ensure I had an income so I could leave if I needed. He said he would help me and Ben escape when I’m old enough. I’m not sure I’ll live that long.

Mrs. VárSvík beat me when Ben vomited on her at our last midday meal. I need bush moss. It hurts, but I don’t make noises or show I’m hurt anymore. I used to cry. She likes it when I cry. Why is she so cruel?

I climb my tree bridge and smile at my kalí garden. I gather moss and give my thanks before bathing in the pond. The cool waters sting, but feel good after a few minutes. The water creatures always clean my dress and wounds. Sadly, the blood has stained my dress already. It’s fine. I have a tattered cloak to hide it.

I lay on the moss and eat some berries while watching the early morning birds wake up and fill the sky with color. Two hours later I can move. I rinse again and put my dried dress on. I walk around the garden eating, collecting my list, and talking to the plants in a whisper.

Mommy and Daddy told me it was a special gift. I can’t tell anyone I can talk to plants. When I found the kalí garden, it was sad and dying. Its keeper joined the Ancestors, but their spirits blessed the land to keep it alive. If I leave, a new keeper needs to take over. I don’t want my friends to be sad.

I take a book out of one of my hiding spots. They are rooms in the wall lined with shelves and benches I use as beds. Soft moss grows on them. It keeps them dry and soft. Before I leave, I open the coin purse Sólaeira gave me. I can’t believe my eyes!

I start pulling things out. How do they fit in here? I grow frustrated and wish I could just go inside to see what all there is. I’m suddenly pulled into an office that looks like Mommy’s. Familiar books, herbs, and bottles line the shelves. There’s a big heavy wood door with pretty star charts carved into it. I go through it to find a living room.