Lía's Return

Mik’Oriella 19th
Inqwé’gaelaō
05:00
Faemála’s Realm

Lía

Aya Liz gave me some goodies, blankets, and a jar with plants to give to Cara. They should brighten her mood. Right before it was time for me to leave, she reappeared with two large trunks of medical supplies, Cara’s medication, and things she called “care packages." She made the whole family write letters, and the kids made “Get Well Soon” cards.

Cara ran out of medication somehow. She had enough to last, but it disappeared from the medical tent. We watched through the waters as Cara started convulsing and bit her tongue. There’s an investigation going on. Outside of the seizure and medication theft, nothing really happened at camp. People got their questions answered and seemed happy to help solve each other’s riddles.

Cara couldn’t see the En’rux’kulu yet. The seizure stopped her from going. She looked disappointed when I looked into the waters. I’ll help her when I get back. If we could just bathe her in the spring, she would be fine for a few months. It’s not fair.

“Are you ready Dear Lía?” I turn to Auntie Fae. She heard Cara’s nieces and nephews using the term. When Aya Liz told them Faemála’s story at bedtime, she told them if they ever find themselves in her realm, to trust Auntie Fae and give her lots of love. The name has stuck. I’m just glad all the prophecies were done early and I could spend time with my parents.

“Yes Auntie.” I’m excited, but sad to leave. The next time I’ll see Ijt’aku Ghaz is when he’s alive again. I hear running feet and giggling. Everyone comes running with gifts they’ve made, cards, letters, hugs, tears, kisses, and more hugs.

“We will miss you, but hope to be able to visit someday.”

“Take care, little one.”

“Yes little angel, stay safe and grow the good in you.”

Everyone from Cara’s team except Nigel and Edward have said their farewells. They step forward together, hiding something behind their backs. I look at them suspiciously.

“What are you up to?” I giggle at their snickers.

“We didn’t know what to get you before you left and only figured it out a few hours ago.” They pull out a clear box with a tiny pup from Uni inside. Uni refused to care for him, so I’ve been caring for the cute little guy. “He’s safe in here when you go through the water. The formula is in this basket. Mix it with the isilmëmírë water only. When he gets bigger, he can protect you. You have a way with animals. Keep that in mind when you come into your abilities.” They both hug me tight. “Be good.”

I stare at my parents as they wrap me in hugs and kisses and cry. I know it isn’t forever, but still. I only just got them back. I have to wait too long to get Miwt’aku back as my own. Maybe I should use Aya in her name.

“Take this. We wrote letters and they took pictures while we were here. I just finished this for you.” Miwt’aku hands me a huge book. I open it to see each letter laminated and pictures placed lovingly in the album. Everyone has been teaching us what things are. It is still surprising that a world without much heka can create such wondrous things.

“Thank you.” We cry and mumble our love and farewells.

“It’s time.” The path back to Érishu Tí through the En’rux’kulu and realm of the spirits opens up to me. I step onto the path and turn to watch them all walk away. They don’t know I can still see them. I sigh after Miwt’aku Eír collapses in tears, and Ijt’aku Ghaz has to carry her home. I turn and walk back the way I came.

It feels like a lifetime ago that I traveled this path. After a while, it feels like there are eyes on me. I remember the warnings and call out.

“You can’t scare me or make me wander off the path. You may as well give up trying to take my soul. I know you’re out there.” Silence. “Humpf, tricky spirit path.” I continue on. The feeling of being followed continues, even after reaching the caves. I don’t waste time and fumble getting the wetsuit gear on Cara’s team gave me. They gave me extras. The first was too small.