Meet The Parents

Mik’Oriella 17th
Süza’kolaō
22:15

Cara

“Ijt’aku!” TáRu tries to jump up and immediately heaves. Thankfully, there’s a bin handy.

“My Nanú! Oh, my sweet vaní.” He scoops her up and helps her to the relief room.

“I take it, that’s her dad?” I break the silence. Everyone is surprised with how fast he went from ‘I’ll kill him’ to complete mush at the first sign of his daughter’s distress. Tavi nods.

“Um, excuse me. I think someone should tell them they’re needed.” Ana points to the room TáRu shares with Uldré and Nadi.

“Not it!” I call out. Tavi and Ana join me in calling out ‘not it.’

“Not it, and anyone under 25 is exempt.” Fíor smiles sweetly at Ámathos.

“Grrr, looks like I’m ‘it’. I think I get this game.” Ámathos grumbles and passes Soria to Fíor. I giggle-snort. He’s adorable when he’s trying to act angry. Fíor winks at me as everyone else tries to hold their laughter in. He bangs on their door, shaking the tent. It cracks open, and I can see Uldré’s eyes pop. “Time to face your worst fears.” Ámathos says before walking away.

It isn’t five minutes before they’re cleaned and have joined us. A minute later, TáRu and her dad come out. She looks better. Ana hands her a nausea pill. The silence is awkward. I can’t take it!

“Hi, I’m Cara it’s very nice to meet TáRu’s dad.” The newcomers look at me, surprised. “Did I say something wrong?” I turn in Tavi’s lap. Did I just commit a social faux pas?

“No Ti’kúe. We just haven’t told them you have been learning. Most edlíduin here don’t bother with our language. Your voice can also put the waters to shame.” I blush and hide my face in his chest. Giggles and chuckles come from everyone around us.

“Congratulations to you both!” The big man’s voice can rival Barry White! “Yes, I am her Ijt. A very protective one. I go by Ru’ak.” I pull my face from Tavi to shake his hand.

“Very nice to meet you Ru’ak. Could you do me a huge favor, please?” My question stuns them a moment before he nods and gestures for me to go on. “Please don’t kill anyone. TáRu is being taken care of and pampered by the very excited and terrified father. He lost his first hayati and baby in a horrible way. When your daughter went into her…” I look to Tavi for guidance.

“Haĵesik.”

“Right, her haĵesik. Only one man was allowed to touch her. He will always love and support them. They are friends. If her hayati rejects her…”

“I’ll kill him, then ask the En’rux’kulu if they can bind her to us as well.” Nadi announces. Ru’ak looks at her, Uldré, TáRu, then back to Uldré.

“They both had their time at the same time. I know you are protective. I refused to let multiple dehin touch them. Nadi’s hayati rejected and hurt her, then went after our nanú. My first hayati asked the En’rux’kulu to sever Nadi’s ties to the creature and asked to bind her to us.” Uldré explains.

“They doubt her hayati will reject her, but if it happens, they will join her with Uldré or another Ash’A Jheili.” Nadi kept that bit from us. I can see why. The timing had to be right if ever needed.

“Ash’A Jheili?” Ru’ak questions Uldré.

“Yes, my Miwt was an Ash’A Jheili. Most of our tribe was slaụghtered by slave traders. Few of us escaped. I don’t know how many they got away with.” He clutches the hem of Nadi’s dress and pulls her close. She hugs him and kisses Uldré’s temple.