Split Decision

Dagdh’a’vaní 18th
TajE’atala
22:08

~Cara~

Yesterday, we reached the beach. It was stunning! The water reminds me of the stunning blue-green waters of the Mediterranean. The sand was white with dazzling stones tumbled smooth by the ocean. Each looked like a tiny gem. We picked up a few to make things with. The crafters of our group were in heaven.

As beautiful as it was, the forest beyond the beach was dark and terrifying. A feeling of extreme danger came from it. Seeing glowing eyes gaze from the darkness didn’t help our nerves. Dangerous creatures and beasts call it home. The beach is a feeding ground if anyone gets too close. The salt and sand keep the creatures away.

I got too close when I was combing the beach during our break. A creature attempted to leave the protection of the dark forest to get me. Thankfully, Ana was faster and pulled me out of the way, throwing the salted sand in it’s face to keep it back. Its skin was smoking before but actually looked like burning coals after being hit with salt. Demons?

On the plus side, I got the stone I was after! At least, I think it’s a stone. Might be an egg. We’ll have to wait and see. We’re treating it like it is. It’s about the size of a grapefruit. It’s deep emerald green, like an emu egg, with slight veins of gold. I wouldn’t have seen it hidden in the dark rocks if it wasn’t for the gold veins.

I got a lecture from… well, everyone, about being aware of my surroundings. I showed them what I found. They’re interested but not impressed. There’s a 50/50 chance of it being some type of creature or just a pretty stone. If it’s a creature, chances of it being carnivorous or dangerous are fairly high.

I’m not letting them get rid of it, though. I can’t leave a baby on its own here. Tavi tried putting it back into the rocks. One of the rocks had blood on it. I didn’t get a good feeling. We didn’t tell the kids.

Tavi changed his mind when Tira started crying. He folded. I see who the disciplinarian between us will be. I tried so hard not to laugh! She winked at Ana. I wasn’t supposed to see. She’s devious! That’s my girl.

Tira set up a little habitat in the barn that mimics the beach. She made people gather some stones, sand, and plants from the area. We cleaned the blood off any stones before giving them to her. She wanted one of the mangrove looking trees, but they wouldn’t fit. It was cute to see her pout.

I collected some seeds and put half in Nimuë’s bag for Faemála. Maybe we can set up a habitat when we get back home. The exptic blooms are beautiful. Different shapes, colors, and sizes. It’s too bad we couldn’t stay longer.

The pass into Xochí’A Raheitr was ridiculous! There was absolutely NO way ¾ of us, carts, wagons, or the animals were making it up that sheer cliff. Thankfully, we didn’t have to. Only our strongest climbed. The rest of us spent the 14 hour trip in Tira’s bag.

We can still travel for three hours. The craggy ground and sparse vegetation remind me of where yamadori grow in Japan. The trees look like juniper, but in hot colors, like turning maple trees. The berries are blue and white. Unlike our world, they are edible in large amounts.

It's hot and windy up here. Looking over the cliff face is a bad idea. I’ve never had vertigo before. I don’t like it. I fall to my knees, vomiting over the edge. Screeching from below echoes. Good, I hit them! The little black dots fall from their climb.

“Don’t worry, Cara.” Tavi kneels beside me, rubbing my back. Thankfully, none got in my hair. When the ladies started doing my hair, I thought it was silly. A ponytail would have been just as good. They refused. Now, I’m thankful. It’s off my neck, face, back, and no puke in my curls!