Emerald Twilight

*Meanwhile, in the depths of The Halls of Mélas Tugöllyi*

“Chain ‘em there!” A burly gamádír with a guttural voice orders. “We'll be gettin’ answers soon.” He sneers and heads towards his work station. Tools, herbs, and potions of his trade are neatly organized on peg boards and behind glass locking cabinets. He opens a blood-red leather ledger marked ‘Guest Book’ in his language. He’s the head ‘inquisitor’ of his people. A polite title for tọrturer.

Those assisting him lock the unconscious men and woman into enchanted iron and silver shackles bolted to the wall. They are stretched, toes barely touching the floor. It isn’t hard to see why she disguised herself after removing her cloak and artificial facial features. She’s the royal family’s advisor. The man, simply known as Inquisitor, waves a stinking bottle under their noses.

“Wakey, wakey pets. Yer makin’ us miss t'e feast.” His accent may be thick, but he and the others working for the royal family have been trying to speak clearer. It’s a work in progress. The woman opens her eyes groggily. Her eyes start darting around in confusion. The men on either side of her instantly start trying to escape, fight back, and are screaming obscenities.

“W’ere am I? I dunna belong ‘ere! Wait until I tell...”

“Who? The King? The Queen? Nah, per’aps ya mean ta tell yer cohorts. Yea, I see it now.” He stares into the uppity woman’s beady eyes. Not many have been able to tolerate her. In a race of kind and friendly people, she has been nothing but trouble, hiding behind the royal emblem. A cousin to the throne and third in line to rule.

“Shut yer mouth ya filthy…” A crack sounds from the jaw of the man to her left. Inquisitor’s men have broken a few teeth from his mouth.

“Ah look, it’s even got a shíla!” A laughing guard picks up a silvery metal tooth with a sapphire gem embedded. The man on the right is silent, watching with fear etched into every fiber of his being. For all their love and kindness, gamádír have the worst tempers and methods of tọrture. The guard laughs after showing the others and tosses it into a jar of teeth. The man on the left stays silent from his broken jaw.

“Back to our conversation, before we were so rudely interrupted Advisor.” He sneers. She cringes as blood and saliva from the man beside her drips down her face. “So, do we skip formalities, or do ye wish ta talk?” He sits in a leather chair in front of her and sips his warm java.

“Ye can go totta ah tairsea!” He laughs at her anger, irritating her further.

“Such a foul mouth and thoughts from such lush lips.” She freezes in confusion. “I, Inquisitor Ethol of The Halls of Mélas Tugöllyi, reject ye on the grounds of subversion and treason of the highest.” Inquisitor winces at the pain. He recognized her the moment he arrested her. His heart fell, knowing she had been behind the most recent plot to kill Queen Valdáh and King Gálbard.

“NO! No, no, no, no, no! Please, donna do t’is. I’ll explain, please. AHHHH!” The searing pain from their bond breaking intensifies as the markings of a traitor etch into her cheek. “Wh-why?” She cries.

“Hours ago, a dark aura was seen around ye three. Ye were arrested and yer dwellings searched.” He points to a table filled with things she swore she had hidden and secured. Their people never should have known. “Ye planned on bein’ Queen. Ye been working with the reveníre’s Gudalá, but t’ey been silent. Ya shoulda run.” He glares at the woman he was supposed to spend forever with. His heart. His light.

“W-why?” She attempts to back against the wall. The anger he’s exuding has her trying to back up, wishing she could melt into the rock. He sneers and enunciates.

“They. Are. Dead.” The men on either side of her are terrified. The bowels of the one with a broken jaw give way as the bladder of the other releases from fear. “Do ye wish ta live?” Advisor and the wet man nod quickly. They’ll do anything to survive. Inquisitor’s grin frightens them. The soiled man tries yelling and thrashing at them. Inquisitor moves to stand before him.
“I’ll be takin’ yer answer as a no.” he reaches out, snapping the man’s neck quickly. “To t’e wilds.” He orders his body removed. The worst punishment after death is to let the creatures in the wilds feed on someone’s body.

Advisor vomits and coughs from her anxiety. She’s suddenly choking after aspirating on her bile. No one moves to help her. Inquisitor’s head cọcks to the side, unsure if he wants to help. A small part of him is screaming to let her go and call for help. The rest of him is ruthless and hurt.

“She knows more!” The silent man suddenly yells. His accent isn’t gamádír or from any Inquisitor is familiar with. “She knows others, others who are involved. I’m new. She knows them, though. You need her.” Inquisitor signals his guards to help her and lock her in a cell until she regains consciousness.

“Bold move. Tell me, why ye tryin’ ta save ‘er?

“I’m not. It’s my own skin and my mother I’m worried about. I’m supposed to assist her and carry her missives. They call her ‘Mistress’ and treat her nice. Others say she’s…”

“She’s what?” Inquisitor’s curiosity is peaked.

“She’s one of the leader’s dróasta.” His voice lowers. “He has many. I don’t know what he is. He looks like the worst many races exploded.” He shivers in fear. “I only wanted to heal my mother.” Regret fills his words.

“I think we can talk.” His chains are loosened. He falls to the floor.

“Yes, please. Just save my family.” His eyes beg the terrifying man before him.

“Yer family is where?”

“Aai Citurí. He holds many people in the depths of the wastelands.” Inquisitor’s eyes widen.

“No one survives the wastelands.”

“No, we aren’t surviving. He keeps us on the edge of life and death, feeding on us like stríganti,  experimenting, training us for his desires before sending us out to do his bidding. There’s no light. No hope. He changes our appearance to blend with others. He sends his minions out to infiltrate the realms. He wants us. All of us. He won't stop until he’s complete.” He starts shaking and rambling and blood trickles from his nose.

“Medic! Guards, get a medic!” Inquisitor’s arm is pulled closer by the man and a book thrust into his hands.

“Save them. They’re everywhere.” He suddenly convulses and draws his final breath.

“Inquisitor?”

“Blood oath. He broke it to get us information. Check the woman.”

“She expired. She handed me this and asked if you could forgive her.” He hands Inquisitor a feminine journal with a petal pink exterior. He opens them on his desk. A wealth of information. Centuries of evil revealed. “She said they were sent to discover a disturbance in ley lines and indicated our guests.”

Inquisitor barely heard the dungeon’s medic. Before him was a list of enemy spies in every race. On that list, is one of their guests.

Mik’Oriella 27th
ElogíAnatí
08:30

~Cara~

“Sissy, wake up.” I hear Amanda’s hushed whisper. If it wasn’t for the java in her hand, I’d be upset. I still want to sleep. “You drink. You’ve got five. Ana, the young ones, and me are going to wake everyone loudly. Your room is the safe zone for little ones and anyone carrying, so get ready.

“You hate me.” I bring my arm up to cover my eyes.

“No, I love you. That’s why I’m… what the unholy? ANA!” Her whisper turns to a yell. I was not prepared.

“SHHH, we aren’t… Oh no, not again.” I hear her whine in an upset tone.

“What is it?” Tavi groans before rolling over. “Shịt! I thought we had this under control.

“Huh?” I’m confused. It’s too early. I need my nectar of the gods.

“Sissy, you’re bruised all over.”

“Again?” I groan out.

“What do you mean again? Cara, what aren’t you telling me? Wait, what are we doing?” Ana lifts me carefully and takes me to a bath.

“Get appropriate sahodára. They will be here soon.” Ana throws a pillow at Tavi. I’m soon soaking while Ana explains my bruising and her theory on how to keep them away.

“So, she’s just missing his magic juice?”

“Oh my heavens, stop.” I cover my face.

“Please. It’s too early.” Tavi is a little hung over. Their chatter is probably piercing his head. He’s still in bed.

“Well, I think so. Nothing is better than loving healing.”

“Stooop. Please. Isn’t there something, anything else you two can be doing? Why me?” They giggle! My sisters are evil.

“Fine, we’ll go if the bruises are gone from your hips.” I grumble, cross one arm over my breasts, and cover myself with the wash rag before standing.

“Gone, see. Now, can I please wake up and enjoy my bath?”

“Yes.” They say in unison before laughing and leaving me. Amanda keeps eyeing my marks. I’m just waiting for her to ask. It isn’t long before I hear the women and children arrive. Tavi has dressed us both and set out a little breakfast for everyone. I’m wearing a new gown under my cloak. It’s obvious I’m still having bruising issues, so I choose an asymmetrical pixie dress. It’s warm, but doesn’t cover as much skin as last night’s dress.

“WAKEY, WAKEY! EGGS AND BAKEY! COME ON EVERYONE TIME FOR BREAKFAST!” I hear Amanda’s loud and far too perky voice call through the halls. “Come On, Peter! Wake up, wake up, wakeupwakeupwakeup!” She’s singing.

“VARIS, COME ON! It’s Tiiime!” I hear a bed being jumped on and Varis groaning right before the loud thud of his body hitting the floor. Tiny giggles, laughter, and yells follow as the younger Ash’A Jheili help wake everyone who was drinking last night. I’m trying not to laugh, but the look on Varis’s face as he chased Ana into our room was too funny!

“You too?” he looks at me in disbelief, “I thought you loved me.” He fake pouts, making me laugh harder.

“Come, sit.” Is all I can manage to get out. We pass him and the others food as they stumble in.

“I have Potioooons!” Ana sings loudly, making them cringe. The potions smell like week old gym socks and pineapple. I almost lost my breakfast. Thankfully, Ana's team has us covered on that as well. Once settled, we get down to business.

“Our company has changed. There are 52 of us. That’s including the Ash’A Jheili Varis, Uldré, Rejíínē, Tanzi, Sif, Frey, and Ora. The kukai will lead the others and keep us protected. Ana, Kaenaék, have there been any new pregnancies to report?”

“No, we were lucky. We have 8 wagons and my carriage. Four wagons were damaged during the attack. I’m unsure they will make it.”

“Apologies, could someone please explain what the difference of carriages and wagons are here?” I ask.

“Carriages can carry six to twelve people and are made for comfort. Wagons can carry up to twenty-five people. They are mostly for supplies, though, and are normally utilitarian.”

“So, no buggies?” They give me a strange look. “That would be a ‘no’ then. Anything smaller?”

“We ‘ave carts. T’ey sit as many as eight. We be sendin’ four wit’ gavala.” Gavala are enormous bison. They have massive long horns and a thicker back end. Thankfully, they can be domesticated like a horse. The ones in the wild are like ours, though. I don’t know who the crazy dwarf was that tamed them, but I’m glad they did. One of them is equal in pulling power to four of the giant horses here.

“We appreciate it greatly Gálbard. We have sísakka as well. We only have to stop for them now.”

“Try again, brother.” Amanda crosses her arms. “Did you forget you have pregnant women? Babies who are pushing on bladders and bowels? If we don’t stop or find a reasonable solution, there’s going to be a HUGE mess.” He cringes. He forgot. I pat his chest and resist laughing.

“You are correct, apologies, Amanda. I would never submit you all to that.”

“Oh, Gálbard, my people can work with yours on a new discovery using force tiesh as well. It wouldn’t come through the caves, but you are welcome to the four broken wagons.” Ana chirps excitedly. This alliance is going to be great!

“Now if only we can get someone to work on my idea.” Amanda leans forward, resting her chin on her fist and pouting. “They have to keep secrets, though. Our technology could ruin this world if it isn’t done carefully.”

“T’en ye be needin’ t’e níssë. T’ere about,” I giggle. I still think his accent is cute. “t’is high an’ t’hey ‘ave great ‘ands.” His gesture puts them between 18”- 3.5’ tall.

“They keep to themselves.” Val takes over. “They are secretive. People aren’t allowed into their lands. They have a giant wall and shoot people down if they fly too close. There’s outpost towns where they meet with other races and trade. Some of their items remind me of yours. They combine it with draíom.” I hear ‘draíom,’ but understand it as ‘magic.’ My brain is still processing. It’s too darn early.

“That’s Perfect! Let me see your tablet.” Val hands it over.

“Amanda, what are you up to?” I ask.

“They’re reclusive people who combine technology and magic. If we share knowledge with them, they will be curious. That curiosity could lead to an alliance. I’ll share solar power and anything related to making a theater. Magic will be better than a lot of our technology, but if they’re already combining them, they can improve what we’ve done so this world doesn’t go bad. Ya know?”

“Ugh, my brain hurts. I need more Java. It's too early for this.” Everyone laughs. I get where she’s going with it. “Type in engineering and technology, then under the sections computers and solar power.”

“Sweet, got it! That’s a lot of books.” I shrug.

“Videos too.” I rub my head. “We should try to get alliances with as many people as possible and set up schools.”

“We can set a theater up in the capital city of each race as a sign of goodwill and as a treaty signing gift! We need to upgrade this setup and combine it with magic, though.” She gets her ‘how the heck do we fix this problem’ look on her face.

“There are schools. They are small and not very successful. Races don’t teach outside of their people or specialties normally. Most people apprentice under masters.” Tavi adds in. This planet is so racist. Their education should be important. Race shouldn’t matter. Potential should.

“We could work with the other races to create schools aimed at teaching those with potential. Set up neutral cities aimed at education.”

“T’at’s w’at Fíor suggested! Ya t’ink alike.”

“My brother is correct. Her majesty sent a letter and eight people to assess ours for potential. She’s setting them up in Hayati Village and outfitting a small school. When our people leave, the eight will stay to help us travel. Many of the reveníre have interest in learning our crafts as well. I will send people as soon as they’re sober to assess their people as well.”

“Why don’t we set up a town between our lands and do as Sáry Cara said. Create a town for learning. I read her people have them all over. What are they again?” Ana asks.

“Colleges and Universities. You may want schools for kids who are even younger. They have greater potential. We have schools parents send their kids off to called boarding schools. Most lean towards a more focused education when they show potential. We also have schools in nearly every town and through our devices.
“I know you’re not ready for that yet. Maybe someone,” a huge yawn hits, “can make a spell to find stude-,” another yawn interrupts me, “students. Seek or something.” I’m getting tired already. Tavi chuckles as I curl up on his lap and lay my head on his chest. If everyone hasn’t figured out we’re together by now, they’re daft.

“Rest yer head. We be leavin’ soon.”

“I want to come back some day. Please?” I try to use puppy dog eyes on Tavi. It works!

“Of course. I promise we’ll be back when you’re healthy and we can have a proper visit.” Val and Dagra cheer. We’ve gotten along well. I can’t wait to be great friends and see how our plans develop! “Hopefully by then, we’ll have Aya and the rest of your family here.” Tavi keeps talking as I drift off. “She’ll need to find someone to care for your house and garden…”

His words are lost as I drift off. He’s right. We need someone to care for our plants. My plants. My succulents, too.

“AMANDA!” I sit bolt-right up at the thought crosses my mind.

“Cara, what is it?” She checks me over worriedly. Everyone is staring.

“My plants. Mum is caring for my plants. Amanda.” I grab her shoulders and put our foreheads together. We’ve done this since we were little, and something is serious. “She over waters. My succulents and ficus will die!” I’m serious, and she has fallen on the floor laughing.
“I’m serious!” I whine. “I’m really tired, and Aya is probably killing my babies with love. She OVER loves plants with fertilizer and water.” Amanda has to explain fertilizer, what the plants are, and how our Mum is killing them. Now everyone is laughing.

“Sleep Ti’kúe. Don’t worry about what you can’t control. You’re tired and need to heal.” He kisses the top of my head and rubs my back. It calms me. Amanda starts telling horror stories of Aya mụrdering hundreds of plants with love. I fall asleep smiling at the memories and feeling my mate sooth me.

~

We left before 10:00. I slept through the 1,400 rajilá path through the caves. We left them on the first of Dagdh’a’vaní. Gálbard's carts were fast! Amanda made sure to take a video, and our friends took samples for me when we stopped. They know my curiosity. Valdáh, Geirým, and others traveled with us. They carried supplies and treats for our journey.

We camped inside the protection of the giant deep emerald arch they call garúda. It reminds me of Anela’s home office. It has dark oak, matching leather, emerald green velvet, malachite wallpaper, and brass Celtic knot designs and fixtures. Peter and Tiníléí were in awe. It reminded me of Anela and the blissful look she gets in her office. She would love it here. It’s so green.

The arch glowed green in the morning light. The gold eggshell looked scaled and looked like it was moving while it gleamed. This side of the mountains doesn’t have the terrifying ferals and creatures who attacked us on the other side. It still has dangerous creatures, but they’re kept in check by the zadýrint who call the rainforest home.

The trees here are different. They’re still larger than any trees on earth, but they remind me of trees in the Amazon crossed with Australian trees. Some species have trunks large enough to make homes in. Everyone informed Amanda and I that they use them for homes often, and it makes them stronger.

They have a plant family like wisteria with vines as thick as manholes. It spider-webs around dead trees, creating its own hollow tree. Wind blowing through them sounds like calm wood flute music. It’s safest to sleep near them. The sound scares off the more dangerous creatures.

There are hundreds of species in different sizes, colors, and shapes. They spread when birds eat the tiny fruits they produce, then eat the bugs in dead trees. They can only germinate in dead wood, and the acids from the bird’s feces strip the outer coat and activate the germination process. I’m such a botany nerd. Our friends here seem to love it. They encourage me.

Dagdh’a’vaní 4th
TajE’atala
22:00

“…Through the jungle, through the dark…” We’re teaching our favorite songs to our company. They heard me and Amanda singing ’Home’ by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and fell instantly in love. They have an instrument similar to a guitar Amanda can play.

Those six words hit me while traveling the dense jungle of Yūrei Kogä. There’s no one people who rule the forest. It’s protected. Only small villages are allowed. The light is like the light at the emerald arch. An eternal green twilight. Darkness is longer. Travel is harder. Thankfully, the path was mostly clear.

We’re camped outside of the next country. It took only three days. Gálbard swapped all our horses for bison on vehicles. Many chose to ride horses with force stone seats. No saddle sores! The horses were able to move faster and keep up with the faster bison.

“Okay, okay, she’s finally awake for more than eight hours. Can we PLEASE tell her? Please, please, please, please, pleeeeeease?” Amanda is bouncing in place with her hands under her chin. Everyone gives in to her begging pose. They can’t resist. It’s so cute!

Everyone starts laughing. Ana pulls a book and a scroll from her bag and hands them to me. It takes a few minutes to read what the book says. “The Magic of Partnership Commitment: Forming bonds with creatures.” I quickly open the scroll.
“With these words, I accept the responsibility of caring for creatures great or small, weak or strong. A bond I will request, a Partnership Commitment signed. Misuse, abụse, or evil intent will end it. A great price will be paid. With these words, I accept the responsibility and seal my oath with my own blood.” A sudden poke where I hold the scroll causes my blood to appear on the scroll. My blood changes to my signature in red before it bursts into fames. The Ashes float into the air. “What was that?” I ask, confused.

“Open the book.” Ana encourages.

‘Chapter 1: Focusing your magic into a Partnership Commitment.’ I read on. It’s fairly basic. ‘Focus your energy, intentions, and ask the creature in your heart and mind to form a bond. Hold your hand or hands out towards the creature into a shape that feels right to you after you have your thoughts and intentions in order.’ It goes into detail on…

“TAMING!” I bounce on Tavi’s lap and giggle excitedly. Ana pulls a box out and places it in front of me.

“Give it a try. The heka will work through the box.” I nod before placing my hands together with the middle fingers and thumbs together and other fingers up. I focus before placing the shape in front of my chest and requesting a 'Partnership Commitment' with the creature inside. I want this in the depths of my heart.

A sudden force, like releasing a deep breath, flows from me. It returns with a warmth, like holding a small baby animal. I smile joyfully and open my eyes. I hadn’t realized I closed them in my focus.

“Are you ready to see your new creature, Ti’kúe?” They’re up to something. I notice my family almost half our people are hiding a small bundle under their cloaks mischievously. I nod excitedly. Ana brings the box forward, opening the lid carefully.

“They fed it straight water and a grain to cleanse it from it’s previous position. You choose what to do from here.” The lid lifts. A balloon the size of my head is in the box.

“What? A balloon?” I look closer. It moves! I squeak and jump. I feel fear that isn’t mine. Everyone chuckles. I get down next to the box and look in again. “Apologies. I didn’t mean to scare you. I’m Cara. Please, come out.” I put my hand out. A ?tentacle? comes out. It cautiously touches my hand. It’s warm, soft, and pliable. It feels like a microfiber blanket. It looks like it should feel rubbery or… “A slime! Dėmė!” I giggle and become excited.

It feels my excitement. It slips out of the box and into my hands quickly. It’s light. Maybe three pounds. I can’t really tell, but there’s a slight yellow tint to it.

“What has it been eating?” They bring me a bowl of rice. “You have rice! I love rice!”

“That’s a better name than what we have for it. Larvae grain.” I try not to vomit.

“Let’s stick to rice. Larvae is too close to what someone we know used to call it to try making us sick while eating. Is it safe to assume they were eating very disgusting substances before?” I ask, laughing a little.

“YES!” Amanda sounds disgusted but pulls a slime out of her cloak. “Never again. Isn’t that right, my little Jelly Bean?” She cuddles it close. It seems to understand and like the name. I stare at my new friend.

“Your name has to reflect you and your personality. Do you mind if we hold off on your name until we decide what to feed you and what you can do?” It bounces a little. I giggle, “I think that means yes. I’ll call you Gumdrop in the meantime. The rice you’ve been consuming looks like a sugar coating. What do you think?” It bounces again. “This is so cool!” I hug it.
“Nimuë.” I call her over from where she’s cuddled up by the babies. She trots over and looks at Gumdrop carefully. “Nimuë, this is Gumdrop. Gumdrop, this is Nimuë. I hope you two can be great friends.” Nimuë noses it. Gumdrop extends like a tentacle and nudges her back. We all laugh.

As we settle in by the fire, everyone tells me what their dėmė have been eating. The last wet-nurse, Xazah, has been using hers to clean herself and the babies. It’s the color of colostrum. It makes sense. It’s constantly cleaning it off of them. She said it changed from looking like mine after two days.

Kaenaék’s dėmė has a sea-green tint to it. It started drinking isilmëmírë water and healing potions. He’s been casting healing on it and allowing others to do the same every hour. When we stop at midday, it climbs to the canopy and rests with most of the others.

Amanda has been feeding hers blood. She’s weird like that. I have no clue what she’s trying. She just keeps saying, “you’ll see.” Ana has been, I can’t believe I’m saying this. She’s been getting hers drunk, then giving it the hangover cure. She claims it changed to a bubbly wine red within hours of being drunk but turned to clear with a pink tint after giving it the cure. Our sisters are nuts!

Ora is feeding hers sweets from Earth. I’m not sure what she’s hoping, but it hasn’t changed yet. Frey is giving hers dishes, dirty laundry, and anything grimy. It seems to be working the way she hopes so far. Sif is allowing hers to choose what it wants. So far, it is sticking to rice.

The entire camp has chosen different things. Varis said he’s keeping his to eating excrement and rubbish. Thank heavens, it completely consumes all the nasty and bacteria. It’s a safe dėmė to hold. It’s surface is antibacterial. Completely sanitary 5 minutes after it eats! The others have chosen berries, metal, wood, scraps of material and threads, ink, cheese, fleas, and more! I’m amazed at the thought behind each choice.

“And what have you chosen, Tavi?” I look up from watching the dėmė play.

“Nothing. I didn’t want to move forward without you Ti’kúe.” He kisses my forehead.

“I think… I’ll keep you.” I pull his tusk and kiss him. Definitely keeping him.