The Unexpected

Mik’Oriella 17th 
Süza’kolaō
16:00

Cara

I wake up cold, in pain, and confused. It takes a minute for everything to come flooding back to me. I, Cara Hawkins, am on a different planet. One where fantasy and magic are real life. I am mated to a hot troll, in my opinion. People would kill me if they knew who I was, in order to put some flat chested, golden thang with a terrible personality in my place.

I know a Priestess, become Goddess named Faemála who balances magic in the universal realms. Ours, of course, is a suck-hole magic-less planet that is throwing everyone else off. I’m horribly injured, and we’re searching for a way to heal me from these magical injuries. Faemála was able to heal my Pretty Pitty Princess Nimuë. Everyone adores her.

Reaching to Tavi’s side of the bed, I can tell he hasn’t been in it for a while. I try to listen for others before remembering the soundproofing. Every morning I wake up alone, I have to remember and shake the confusion. I remember the pain I felt on earth and the love I feel now. I smile before a wave of nausea hits.

Thank heavens! Someone put a bin beside our bed. The contents of my stomach empty as I do an Emily Rose impression. I rinse my mouth and blow my sore nose before reaching for the nausea meds. Ondansetron has nothing on this! It’s the powdered root of a flower, bark of their rose-like bushes, and the petals of flowers similar to honeysuckle with a honey casing.

“Cara? Oh, Cara, I’m so sorry! I only left for a moment to use the…”

“Calm down.” I giggle at Sif’s adorable panicking. “I’m fine. Just a wave of nausea. No big. I took my medicine and feel better.” I pull her into a hug. She finally relaxes in my arms. It may bruise, but at this moment, I don’t care. She’s more important. “Tell me, where is my hayati?” I ask as she settles next to me.

“He and Gálbard had to speak with the anakím group. Their leadership are purists. They disapprove of mixing blood outside of them and the ùralím they descend from. Being hayati is a first. They want Seraphina and Uriel to reject Valk’elden and Edu’teanu.” I’m shocked! “Cara, are you okay?”

“Y-yeah. I’m sorry, did you say anakim, Seraphina, and Uriel?”

“Yes. Why? Is everything okay?”

“Those are names from my planet. Anakim descended from Anak, a descendant of nephilim. In my world, nephilim are crossed between angels and humans. Anak’s children became a different race. Seraphina and Uriel were angels.” She thinks for a moment and smiles.

“That makes sense.” She nods. “It’s said they came from another realm. It’s part of why they stay to themselves. They mated with our álfrám, edlíduin, and a few others when they first arrived. Some of their children became turaíēl. That’s when they closed themselves off.”

“Makes sense. They’re probably jealous. Angels had wings, but their children lost the ability. YEY Earth’s Suck-hole of Magic!” I cheer sarcastically. “Anyway, I hope Seraphina and Uriel are saying no.”

“They are. They refuse to give up their blessed ones. Oh, they’re also twins! Very rare for their kind.”

“Well, I hope it all works out. I’d love to be there.” I say a bit disappointed.

“Okay, let me get Tavi!” She darts from the room before I can stop her. I don’t want to disturb them.

“Hello my Ti’kúe, did you sleep well?” He asks as he looks at the bin.

“I did, but I woke up alone.” I fake pout. He-he-he. I know how to get him. He wraps me in his arms and peppers kisses all over me as I giggle. He avoids my mouth, thankfully.

“Why don’t we get you cleaned up and get you some food. Sif says you want to join us.” I nod. He quickly helps me get clean. I furiously scrub my teeth and use a tiny kettle they made me for my nose for just this occasion. He slips my cape on me and fastens it securely. I pull the hood up out of habit.

Loud voices in a somewhat familiar language can be heard as we enter our sitting area. It must be the anakím. They still as they see him come out with me. My figure is hidden. They must think I’m a child, like others. Our group and Gálbard stand to bow, confusing them more. I notice Seraphina and Uriel followed their hayati’s actions.

“What is this? You bring a yalda into this meeting. Is this a joke to you?!” They are speaking old Hebrew!

“Don’t be a hitsiger!” I remove my hood and look at the large angry man from before. “You need to calm yourself.” I know a few words in Hebrew, thanks to Anela. She’s been teaching me, but my comprehension is shaky. The man is surprised. “Your people were blessed. Are you really going to turn your back on it after all your people have been through? They somehow survived coming here. You should be grateful.” His surprise turns to anger.

“And what would you know of it? We have…”

“Come from my planet. Earth. Your ancestors are the children of angels and humans.” He and his people pale at my words. “I am dying. Unless we can find a way for me to heal, I won’t last long.” No one wants to say it, but there it is. I put it together a while ago. They all look sad. “I know more than you realize. I would appreciate you being respectful to my people. My hayati is their Inkosi.”

At this revelation, all eyes either look to me and smile or snap to Tavi in question. He just smiles as he brings me a tray of food, java, and tea. He sets me on his lap before kissing my head and feeding me a piece of fruit. I relax into his chest. Most are in awe of how sweet he is with me.

“Apologies Inkássa.” The man says after a few minutes of deep thought. “Our people have tried to stay away from those of this land after we realized we created a new race.”

“I have heard, the turaíēl. I have to know honestly.” I sip my java, “Does it scare your people, or are they jealous they have not received wings as well?” He smiles and chuckles.

“I believe most are jealous. A sin, I know.”

“Perhaps, if you open your hearts, minds, and cast out that deep-rooted sin, your people will be blessed as well.” He looks surprised but happy.

“I never thought of it that way. The turaíēl did come from a little one with a great and loving heart. She showed other of her generation a different way, and the elders cast them out before they were of age.” He smirks. “I am much older than I look. I remember the first, Lilith. She sang with all the love and light one could possibly possess. They all did.” He goes silent.

“Are you alright?” Sif put her tiny hands on his cheeks and lifts his head. “You loved her. Is she still?” She trails off. He smiles sadly and pats her hands.

“She was my niece. Yes, I loved her. I was with her when her wings first emerged. She was only seven. Her parents cast her out. I took her in. No, she’s not. She passed on, long ago. Her people were not blessed with our longevity.” He sighs. “I suppose that is why I wish to keep my own children close.” He looks to Seraphina and Uriel. “I don’t wish to lose the last family I have.”

“The last?” Ana gasps. He nods sadly.

“My wife was older than I. She passed away a few years ago. The night of their eighteenth birthday.” They all look sad now. Sif hugs him.

“It’s settled then. You will come with them.” She chips. Her chipper mood rubs off on everyone, and he smiles.

“I didn’t think that was possible. I’m not hayati. Aren’t there rules against me living in your kingdom.” I look to Tavi curiously.

“Not anymore. We are, correcting, our kingdom.” His evil grin has me surprised.

“But the Gudalá?”

“Are being taken care of as we speak.” He kisses my cheek. “Miwt and Janaka sent a letter while you slept. Her claws are out.” Almost everyone seems surprised. Ana and Tavi are grinning.

“You will be safe sáry.” She taps her fingertips together like Monty Burns. I can’t help but laugh. Others join, finding her action funny but not knowing my reason.

“In other words, you are most welcome… uh, what is your name?” He chuckles. Well, they never told me his name!

“Gabriel. My name is Gabriel.” I grin. Another angel.

“You are more than welcome.”

“Inkássa, Inkosi, may we stay in Hayati Village?” Edu’teanu asks. “I think we will be more comfortable there and provide the village with much needed support.” I nod my approval. She’s a quick thinker. “Also, we,” she looks between the four of them, “We wish to return before leaving here, if possible.”

“That is perfectly acceptable and understandable. Edu’teanu will be…” Tavi scratches the back of his neck nervously.

“My haĵesik is due any day now.” She hides her face in Uriel’s chest.

“You can leave after paying your respects to the En’rux’kulu and receiving their riddles for you.” I tell her.

“If you go now, we can open portals to wherever you wish when you get back.”

“I have soil from our home.” Seraphina has a deep voice, but there’s a lilt to it. “We can’t teleport, though.” Ana thinks for a moment.

“Then I will send you to Hayati Village with a note. They can take you there and bring you back.”

“That sounds perfect.” Gabriel grinned. The question nagging in the back of my mind comes out.

“Gabriel, how did the nephilim and anakim come to this world?” He pauses and grins.

“We came in with a huge splash.” His baritone laugh booms. “Every time someone came to wipe our people out, they would March around our cities, then blow horns. Those of us who weren’t fighters or just wanted to leave were kept in an area away from danger. Or, so we thought.”
“When the horns blew, portals opened. Most of us and our stored supplies were pulled in. We fell into an ocean. It was cold. We made our way to the frozen island, using the supplies and icy trees to build a shelter. There were three hundred and thirty-three of us after the last group fell through.”
“We built a palace for everyone to live in. It was easier to heat. At first, we accepted this land and it’s people as our new home and found blessed love with them. My blessed one was another anakím.”
“As soon as my sister realized she and her álfrám husband had a turaíēl, she cast her out. Eventually, her husband left with the rest of their children. They were all turaíēl. He found them all a home. She eventually went mad and swam into the frozen waters around our island.”
“We closed ourselves off. Finding our blessed one and bearing children became a very rare occurrence. Some of us found our blessed ones with the children of Ra’Sonće Island. They are a lot like us, so our elders and ruling body accepted them.”
“Heh, fire and ice. Our islands are exact opposites.” He trails off in thought for a moment. “You wouldn’t know it, but a few of our people are part reveníre. They originally inhabited the island. They were as small as double our size to nearly four times our size. All of them were hayati to us, álfrám, gamádír, or a few from Ra’Sonće.”
“I will be happy to live out my life for my children, away from that God forsaken island. I have many years left. I am a warrior. I can help protect the village if that is acceptable.” He looks hopeful.

“Gabriel, I think Miwt, Ren’kazí Fíor, would love to have your protection wherever she can. Not many are as large and intimidating as you are.” It’s true. He looks a lot like his children but has blonde hair and grey-green hazel eyes. He is also MUCH taller. I might stand up to his knees! Tall people. UGH! Definitely intimidating.

“You have my thanks.”

“And you ours.” Tavi assures him. We talk until Lía announces it is time for them, Lavik and her hayati Tharn, Iudeíne and Ezereah, and Mrãtaka and Takatyk’úkti to leave for the En’rux’kulu. They will all be going to Hayati Village to speak with the queen and king. From there, they will gather their things from their previous homes before going to their new homes, wherever they may be. It’s a good first stop, even with the drama.

Still, I wonder how bad it is with Miwt Fíor and Janaka Ámathos right now.

*In Wayòm’wí Hati Asàn*

08:00

Fíor

I call for a meeting with the Gudalá, the Ash’A Jheili, and many of our troops. To the normal eye, it looks like a security meeting. No one is excused for these meetings. I look around as the Gudalá take their seats.

Normally, they would flank Ámathos and I. Today, I have their seats in front of us in a slight curve. We sit on our thrones, raised up with stairs. The Ash’A Jheili stand behind them, hands clasped behind their backs, legs slightly spread. Ready. Waiting.

Our troops feel tension and shift slightly. They stand a good distance from the rest of us. They have been ordered to stand guard and do not interfere. Most know nothing more. I look out, seeing a few smirking at the Gudalá. They know. The doors and windows are barred, making the Gudalá and a few neteru jump.

“Pleasant morning to you all!” I stand and call out with a smile. I will not let a thing slip in my expression. Ámathos looks severe, as usual. “As you all may or may not know, my sons have found their hayati. Our family is truly blessed!” Cheers go up from most. A few look confused, then realization strikes. Tavi has found his Inkássa.

The Gudalá’s hatred flickers on their faces and their fists clench. They use the noise to cover their whispered plots. They forget, my hearing is greater than most others. I hear their plot to kill her if she is not reveníre.

“Now, now, let us not be hasty.” My words silence the room. They look around curiously. The Gudalá are stiff and silent. I cọck my head to the side and grin. “Won’t you share your plans with those who didn’t hear you.” They look surprised and fear flickers in their eyes for a moment.

“What is it you think we spoke of Fíor? We were simply wondering who Tavirian’s hayati could be. Tell us.”

“False. She lies.” An Ash’A Jheili steps forward. She is well known. No one can lie in her presence. They know it well. They were unaware she is with us. She was on the Ak’hajj protecting my tékeredi and their company. She was sent back injured after the creatures attacked. I smirk as the fear and shock of her presence spreads across their faces.

“W…we…” They stammer in fear and confusion.

“Speak. Tell the truth. You see, I already know! I. Know. It. All.” I growl out. They quake in fear. The one who spoke before straightens after a moment and hushes the rest.

“Who do you think you are, girl? We are the Gudalá. While you sit on the throne, we run the reveníre. Not you.” Murmurs of anger toward the Gudalá spread throughout the throne room. “Our will is do be done. Do as we say, or we will take the throne.” I allow them to continue. I want their treason to be known. “Tell us now, who is this… false hayati he claims.” I grin.

“I tell you now, the Induna is not of our people. Do you wish to continue knowing this?”

“She is false. His hayati is the reveníre Dēvija Sosyéte. We all know this. This imposter will die. How dare she try to take the throne of the true Inkássa!” Another yells out.

“There it is.” I purr as I lean forward. “You want my throne and my son’s hayati dead, do you? You want to put that rach’crè on my throne.” I growl out. Gasps of surprise at my language come forth. “The vanit’a who came to my home, already with child by another, claiming it is my son’s.” Gasps and growls erupt. The Gudalá flinch. They weren’t expecting me to know.
“Tell me, do you know the janaka? What else do you hide in the darkness?” I grin and stand. “You want my throne?” I purr and move toward them. Ámathos follows my lead. He is fierce and terrifying. Even our neteru fear him in this moment. “Come,” I stand in front of their so-called leader. Ámathos stands in front of the one calling for Cara’s death. They begin to realize their mistakes. The Ash’A Jheili have move in around them. “take it if you dare.”

These vanit’a, these ‘Gudalá,’ are daft. She and the other one dare to stand and move towards our thrones. My claws extend as she tries to push past me. Ámathos and I grab their throats. The Ash’A Jheili pin the arms of the others behind their backs.

“Wrong move traitor.” I growl and rip her throat out. The others scream their surprise and anger. I don’t look at her again as she lays dying on the throne room floor. I move over to where Ámathos holds the one who openly called for Cara’s death. “You knowingly threaten and plot to mụrder royals. You call out, unashamedly, for the mụrder of you Inkosi’s hayati, the Induna Cara.” She realizes her mistake too late. She lays on the floor next to her sister Gudalá within seconds. One by one, the Gudalá fall at my claws.

I stand, not sparing them a second glance. The ultimate disrespect for those dying. Looking around, I see no one spare them a glance. They give Ámathos and I their full attention. They seem to accept what has happened. What needed to happen.

“Inkosi Tavirian has found his hayati, an edlíduin of extraordinary origin. She knows Díälani Faemála personally.” Happy surprise and excitement fill our neteru and Ash’A Jheili. I give them time for chatter before giving the bad news. I hold my hand up, “There is a complication.” They go silent. “She is suffering severe portal damage. By all accounts, with what she and her cùi experienced, they should both be dead. Yet, they are strong and still with us. Any day now, they will be with the En’rux’kulu. Let us pray they can help her.” Heads bow in silent prayer.

“Raise their bodies as in days of old. Ensure no tékeredi see them. Hang a sign announcing their treason. I want all to know their evil and how those who cross us will meet their end.” Ámathos announces.

“At the evening meal, gather our people. We will announce the news of the Gudalá’s end and the finding of Inkosi Tavirian’s hayati. We will feast and celebrate. Until then, rest. Enjoy time with your families.” I dismiss them. The bodies are carried off.

“Ren’kazí, Wa’ánax?” A shaky little voice calls from the entry after a few minutes. I turn to see a team of shocked mylahm, ready to clean and quaking with fear.

“Be at ease. The Gudalá betrayed the throne and plotted the mụrder of Inkosi Tavirian’s hayati. Their treachery goes deeper, but I will not burden any other with that. I apologize for the mess. I hope you will accept our assistance in cleaning and a period of relaxation afterward.” They smile, more at ease and nod. One is young. She must have just turned eighteen.

“Ren’kazí, has He really found his hayati?” She is nearly bouncing with excitement.

“He has. She is a little edlíduin.” Coos and cheerful chatter about what Cara must look like fill our cleaning session. I tell them all I know. I want word to spread, and mylahm are notorious for talk. If there is ever a secret, they will know it by nightfall. We take them to our royal quarters for bathing, massages, and any other pampering we can provide.

The saucíka come in and make them new gowns. Our mylahm are well cared for and never suffer for food or clothing. We provide uniforms as well. Today, though, these vanit’a and dehin went above and beyond what is required of them. They were filled with fear and exposed to something horrendous.

Their clothing will be made of noble textiles and sarit embroidered material from now on. They have chosen a deep blue with an arjun sheen for their new uniforms. Deep red with a lò sheen is also provided. They are a statement to all. They volunteered for this position when all others turned in fear. These mylahm are honored for their deeds.

They will be seen for any trauma it may have caused. The young one, Tali, may have nightmares. She covers her fear well with smiles and seeking happier subjects, but I know what she does. I do it as well. The others are older. Most have their hayati. This one, though, I will keep close. I have them rest in the guest rooms after our midday meal. When we wake, they will be examined and spoken to. I hope all will be alright.

Cara

As daylight fades, the group who visited the En’rux’kulu returns with their answers. Without Lía. I worry for her. With their bags packed, they hand me vials of red substance and a note before they bid us farewell. I hope to see them again someday. As a company, we watch them step into the portal and disappear.

More portals are opened for anyone on the island who are ready to leave. They are surprised by the offer. If they don’t carry soil of their home, our people try to send them to the closest safe place. We wind up having a great feast and inviting people from all clearings. There’s music, singing, and dancing from their different cultures. It’s amazing!

Near the end of the meal, another portal opens. A couple steps through, followed by a young female reveníre in deep blue. The woman looks kind and gentle. The man looks fierce. The girl looks excited and keeps bouncing on her toes.

“Miwt! Ijt!” Ana cheers before running and tackling them like she’s in the NFL. They land on the ground in front of the girl, giggling and laughing. Tavi picks me up and carries me over. Nimuë is barking and chasing her tail excitedly. The babies are brought over, and everyone is rubbing faces like I do with Nimuë.

Tavi stands back with me. We watch them meet Nimuë and give her the same greeting. Trasa and Soria are covered in kisses. It takes at least ten minutes for everyone to settle. Their eyes locked on us. I’m nervous, but they seem happy.

“Indrea Cara, welcome. We are happy to see you alive and smiling. I am Fíor. This is Ámathos, my hayati. This is Tali, an honored mylahm of our people.” She pats his chest before pulling the young one forward gently. She’s a pretty thing. Tali’s skin is soft green, just a few shades darker than Trasa’s. Her hair is tea rose pink with white streaks. Her eyes are the same sapphire blue as her gown. She’s tall with lean muscle.

Fíor gently caresses my hair and rubs her face to mine. Somehow, I can sense all her love. Ámathos follows by booping my nose before rubbing faces. Getting close to my ear, so no one else can hear he whispers to me.

“Welcome to the family. I am glad I was wrong.” His smile can’t be seen by those still at the tables.

“We came to tell you, the Gudalá are dead. Executed for treason and plotting the death of a member of the royal family. Their bodies are on display in the courtyard of the ḍamned. Their bodies left to the ravishing of nature.” Fíor shocks the gathering. Sosyéte begins to shake as Fíor glares at her.
“They had many secrets that have come to light.” She purrs. Normally, when a cat purrs, it’s because they’re content. This seems like a dangerous purr. Her eyes snap back to Tavi. “Come, we shall speak in private. I will take Indrea Cara.” She makes grabby hands at me. Tavi reluctantly hands me over. A few chuckles are heard by those who know we are hayati. “Apologies to all. I need a report and time with my family. I hope to see you all for the morning meal.” Words if appreciation and understanding are spoken by all.

As we are leaving, Sosyéte tries to follow. Ana hands the girls to her dad and Tavi before handing Sif a small basket of food to follow with. Varis, Frey, Ora, Rejíínē, and Tanzi appear, blocking her way.

“Move, she said she needs time with her family.” Ana goes to say something when Fíor places a hand on her shoulder, shaking her head. Ana turns and joins us.

“That I did. Who are you?” Sosyéte looks upset for a moment before standing tall and trying to stick her non-existent chest out.

“I am Dēvija Sosyéte, your son’s hayati and miwt to his nanú.” She places her hand over the tiny bump.

“No, you’re not, on any account. The Gudalá knew you were well into this pregnancy before you ever came to our home and met our son. You are nothing.” She moves closer and speaks lowly to her. “Need I remind you of why we came here to begin with? Perhaps you’d like to spend a few hours looking at my handiwork,” she lifts her chin with an extended claw, “in the courtyard of the ḍamned?” Fear fills Sosyéte’s eyes, and she stumbles back. “Enjoy your evening.”

Fíor winks as she saunters back to us. I hide my face in Tavi’s chest to hide my grin. Thankfully, he turns before I start shaking with silent laughter. I hear Ámathos snort. He hides his laughter in Soria’s little arms. We quickly get into our tent, and everyone breaks out laughing!

“Mmm, did I miss the evening meal?” TáRu rubs her eyes and sits up on the sofa. She’s been so tired lately. She notices Fíor and Ámathos. Her eyes get as big as saucers. She tries to stand too fast and nearly tumbles. Ana catches her just in time and settles her back down. Fíor sets me down on my seat. I wonder how she knew it was mine?

“We brought food. Relax.” Ana tells her.

“Tá’Ták’Ruux, hello dear. How are you?” Fíor hugs her gently. She startles a little and places her hand on her belly. Fíor’s eyes light up. “Congratulations my dear! But who?”

“That’s what I’d like to know! Who am I killing?” A terrifying slate colored 12’ Érishu Tí mountain troll stands in the doorway of our tent. His eyes look like Star Onyx. The star is glowing like lava right now. Beautiful but terrifying. Cross Roman Reigns with Yokozuna Chiyonofuji. He is bald with a flat nose, down turned black tusks, and TáRu’s eyes.

TáRu’s eyes. Oh. Shịt.