Before The Waters

Mik’Oriella 25th
TajE’atala
12:00

~Cara~

I wasn’t allowed to eat much in case I get sick. A seizure could also pop up. I sometimes vomit during them. Aspiration sucks. I thought about taking a nap, but the representatives wanted to speak to me. A few could smell Tavi’s hayati scent on me. Ana pulled them to the side, explained the danger I’m still under, and asked they keep it quiet until I’m safer.

Thankfully, they all agreed and have volunteered to send guards in their territories and allied territories they have contacts in. I want to hug them all, but only two are women. Since finding out about my pregnancy, my dearest mate has become extremely protective. We’re worried about having the healing session. Could it cause a miscarriage? Will the baby be harmed? Will my body see the baby as a threat?

Not that we can do anything about it. If I’m not healed or healthy, the baby won’t survive. It’s a catch-22. We finally reached the area Lía told us about entering. Staring into the waters, I wonder if we could reach the cave. I’d love to explore that! Well, aside from the whole “DANGER: LEADS TO LAND OF THE DEAD. YOU MAY NOT COME BACK” thing.

Anz, Kyarra (the tiger râs lady), Gálbard, and representatives from ten other races gather. Each carries a picnic basket that looks heavy. I bet they wish they had bags like ours. I see Ana eyeball each and hum in wonder. Is she thinking something similar?

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” Tavi’s soothing voice reaches across the clearing. He sounds sẹxy speaking common, too! Darn pregnancy hormones. Yeah, I’ll blame it on hormones… “We wish to extend our gratitude for being here today and for becoming representatives in healing Phriossa Cara. A…” Ana lays her hand on his shoulder. They share a “look” and he nods for her to step forward.

“Would each representative please step forward.” They form a semicircle in front of us. “Please, rest your arms, that you may receive our gifts of gratitude.” They share a look of confusion before setting their baskets in front of them. Ana opens her bag and walks before each of them. She hands them each a small pouch that could easily be hidden under clothing, a bottle of isilmëmírë water from Faemála, and a small vial of what looks like dirt with a scroll attached.

Many of the representatives look shocked and bow in thanks. Others look delighted and pull her in for a hug. When Kyarra hugs her, they both purr. A little happy rumble begins in Tavi’s chest. I can’t help but snuggle in closer and sigh happily. Their purr puts everyone at ease.

The shocked ones open the pouch to look even more surprised. They quickly remove their own heavy bags, weapons, and items and place them in the little pouches. The other woman, a níah’cea, giggles and flutters in delight. It’s strange. When Ana handed her the pouch, it shrank to fit in her palm. The other items didn’t, though. Thankfully, she can shrink things down herself. She’s able to get everything into the pouch.

“As you well know from the terrible history of our world, not all who come from other worlds have been safe or welcomed. We ask you keep some things quiet to avoid more danger than Cara is already in. She is under my, our protection and the protection of the Ak’hajj. We venture further to Isilmëmírë to present Lía, Lereía of Isilmëmírë for further training.” Lía steps forward and gives a cute little wave. Murmurs about her coloring and age begin. Broken bits reach my ears.

“… blessed by the heavens…”
“… truly gifted…”
“… so young…”
“… in danger…”
“… doubtful… slap a title on anyone these days…” Only the one older little man makes a negative comment. He can’t be more than 18” tall. Gálbard looks like he wants to kick him across the clearing.