Rescuing Ana'el

Dagdh’a’vaní 23rd
Sól’elogía
04:00

~Eró~

“IJT’AKU! DADDY!”

A sweet voice calls out. I look up to see the most beautiful looking little girl ever. I may be biased, though. She may be twenty-five, but our people normally don’t reach maturity until they’re 300. She’s still a child to me.

Soft purple skin, like a rare stone, is set off by deep black hair that shimmers with iridescent colors. Feathers with a brighter iridescent shine protect vital parts of her body and line her hair. She looks so much like her mother. A wave of sadness hits me. I realized too late who she truly was to me.

Fraí’s wings look stunning! The leather is patterned, like our kalí lineage. The leather on our wings is strong but looks thin and translucent. They look easy to puncture, but they are hard as taníyn skin. Her feathers unlike any I have seen before. The turaíēl will adore her. Our feathers are typically light colors or flat black. Her wings look stronger than most and are covered in black feathers that gleam with a multitude of colors.

“I’ve never seen such beauty.” My brother whispers. “My niece is splendid. I hope my own children come out as beautiful.” After ten years of searching, he has begun to think he doesn’t have a mate, like me. At least, I don’t anymore. My own ignorance saw to that. The spirits tell me his circumstance will change soon.

They told me great blessings would come to me, but not that I would finally meet my daughter. After years of searching, she is finally here! She tucks her wings in and drops into my awaiting arms. I hug and spin her. I don’t hide the tears that fall. For once, I allow emotion.

“My sweet daughter. I will never let you go.” I whisper and caress her hair. Her tears start falling. I wrap my wings around us and hold her as she sets her sorrows free. I know little of what she went through. It must have been terrible.

Flashes of an attack appear in my mind. Shredded wings belonging to a child being eaten by predators and the pain from one’s wings are torn from our bodies. My Gem, dear Ancestors! My Gem... in a pool of blood. Disfigured and dismembered. I try not to scare our little gem. I will find their attacker and have him drained.

The images turn from horror to people verbally assaulting her. One woman is kind and doting. I must thank her. Meeting the Inkosi and being accepted. People defending her when the rare person was mean to her. They show her love and adoration. The images become happier and speed up.

An edlíduin woman appears. They’re close. She loves her as a sibling. She is mated to the Inkosi. The little girl appears. A growl escapes me, and Fraí jumps in my arms. I rub her back soothingly before looking to the girl.

“Tira, come.” I hold a wing and arm out for her to join our hug. She smiles and joins us happily. As I touch her, her past plays in my mind.

This gift is a blessing and a curse. I see other’s pasts when I touch them. I’ve found hugging helps intensify the memories. My senses become involved. These two have suffered greatly but found even greater love. I freeze when I see her wings and remember her parents. These people are lying to protect her. I kiss the top of her head.

“I remember when you were just a tiny bundle.” She looks up at me in surprise. I smile gently.

‘Not Yet! Not until Isilmëmírë. Watch over our baby, dear Eró. She is your saving grace.’ I hear her mother’s spirit. I suddenly feel them around us everywhere.

“Some day, I will tell you all. The spirits tell me to wait.” I smile gently and cup her cheek. She looks like her grandmother more than her parents. She nods.