From Bad to Worse

Two Days Later
Aria's Pov

"One more day," Ezra sighs "Then I can come home." He adjusts himself in bed, hanging his legs over the edge.

"I know, I can't wait to get out of this hospital room." I reply as I water the flowers that were given to Ezra as a 'Get Well Soon' gift.

"You know," Ezra starts in a joking tone "You're not the one who has 16 fresh stitches in their head. You can leave anytime you want." He laughs lightly. I lean over and give him a peck on the cheek.

"I'm not leaving until you do." I say. He puts his arm around my shoulders and pulls me against him. After kissing the top of my head, Ezra stands up and walks into the bathroom.

I smile, happy that over the past couple days, Ezra's walk had gotten a lot less stiff. He no longer looks as if he's in pain every time he takes a step. In fact, he hardly looks sore at all. The only thing that needed healing was the giant cut down his forehead. Once that was healed, everything would be back to normal for Ezra. The only real thing still keeping him in the hospital was that his forehead wound wasn't quite healed enough. The doctors say it's still too fresh for Ezra to be taking care of it at home without medical help. Even when he does come home, he has been given a strict set of rules on how to care for it properly, from changing the bandages, to applying medicinal salve, to showering without getting the wound wet. But we don't have to think about all that until tomorrow, the day Ezra would finally be able to come home.

The bathroom door opens and Ezra walks out, stretching his shoulders. I walk over to him and hug around his waist, pressing my face into his chest. He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head.

"Everything okay babe?" Ezra says into my hair. I nod, my face still pressed into his chest.

"Just cuddly." I say, my voice muffled from having my face against his shirt. He pulls me over to the bed, sitting down and leaning back against the plastic headboard. I sit down next to Ezra, leaning into him and resting my head on his shoulder. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer to him. For a few minutes, we just sit there in silence, enjoying each other's company. Ezra's hand finds its way to my stomach, and he gently rubs the rounded bump.

"You're growing." Ezra says. I chuckle.

"Me, or the baby?" I wasn't quite sure who he was exactly talking to.

Ezra looks at me, a boyish smile on his face "Both." I playfully hit his arm.

"But yeah, I know." I admit "Soon my baby bump won't be so much a bump anymore. We'll have to start calling it a baby bulge." We both laugh, lightening the atmosphere of the boring hospital room. Ezra kisses me before talking again.

"It's crazy to think that we get to find out the gender soon." He says "We have what, like less than a month left until we can find out?" I nod.

"Well it depends on the way that the baby is positioned, but you go in for the appointment when you're 4 months, and I'm 3 months, 1 week, and..." I think about it for a second "2 days." I look down at my stomach, then at Ezra's hand that caresses it. Before I know it, I'll be waddling around wearing maternity clothes.

"I can't wait to know the gender," Ezra says "Only 2 weeks and 5..." He looks up, as if there's an imaginary calendar to read from "Yeah, 5 days left." Saying it like that makes it sound like a lot less time. Only just over 2 weeks left until I would know if my baby was a girl or boy. It's crazy to think about.

"Do you wanna have a boy or girl?" I ask Ezra the infamous question. He smiles and leans back into the pillows.

"I think about this sometimes," he says. I get tingles just imagining him thinking about it. "And I've come to a conclusion that I can't decide if I want a boy or girl." I smile, feeling the exact same way.