Further Investigation

Aria's Pov

The next day, I walk out of school, relieved that there's only three days left until summer vacation. Getting in my car, I drive toward The Brew where Emily, Spencer, Hanna, and I planned to hang out after school. It's not a long drive and I don't get any lights, so I arrive fairly early. The smell of coffee fills my nose the second I open the door, getting me excited even though I don't currently feel a need for caffeine. Making my way over to the couches, I'm surprised to see that Spencer is already here.

"Hey." She says, looking up from her Ap Econ textbook. She quickly closes it and shoves it into her bag.

"Hi." I say happily, flopping down beside her. She looks worriedly at her lap, as if she has a secret she's itching to tell.

"Is everything okay?" I ask her after a moment or two.

She looks up at me, not saying anything for a moment "I need to go to Ravenswood."

"Did A tell you that?" I ask nervously, thinking of the creepy town.

She shakes her head "But I figured something out. It was a name, so I googled it. Things came up about a library located in Ravenswood."

My stomach twists "Maybe A is just trying to throw us off, where did you get the information from anyway?"

She shrugs "It doesn't matter. It has something to do with Ali. And even if A is trying to throw us off, it could mean something. I'm willing to get answers anywhere I can."

Hanna and Emily walk in and order iced coffees, before joining us on the couches.

"What're we talking about?" Emily's asks breezily.

"Ravenswood." I say, looking from Emily to Spencer to Hanna, then back to Emily.

Emily makes a face "That place gives me the creeps. I don't know who would wanna live there."

"Maybe creepy people." Hanna says.

Spencer sighs "We have to go there. Well at least I do."

"Why? And if you go, we're coming." Emily says.

"We have to go to this library," Spencer says "And thanks for agreeing to come."

She turns to look at me "You coming too?"

They all look at me, awaiting my response. I nod "Of course."

***

We drive into Ravenswood just as the sun starts to set, making the town more eerie by the minute.

"Where is this bookstore anyway?" Hanna complains "I'm starving, and the faster we finish, the sooner we can eat."

"It shouldn't take too long," Spencer says "We'll go eat something after. And it's a library."

Hanna rolls her eyes "Same thing."

I slump back in my seat, wishing I was at home laying on the couch with Ezra. But deep down, I know that I have to be here.

"There it is!" Emily exclaims, pointing to a sign that says 'Ravenswood Library'. Spencer parks on the edge of the curb, and we all get out of the car.

"What are we supposed to do in there anyway?" I ask "Look through every book for signs of Ali?"

"No," Spencer says "Well I don't know. Just look for signs of anything that will help us."

We walk into the dusty smelling library, and the ancient looking woman at the front desk looks up, then without saying a word, stares back down at something on the table.

Once we come to a more secluded part of the library, Spencer pulls out her phone.

"So this is how I found out about this place," She says "It was in Ali's journal." She shows us a picture she took of the book page before A stole the journal.

"I have the real copy," Spencer continues "Not the fake one that A re-wrote. And on this page, it says something about how Ali used to come to this library with her 'Older Guy'." She mimics quotations with her fingers "And how they would make-out on a chair in here, not having to worry about anyone seeing them, since they weren't even in Rosewood."

Hanna scoffs "So what? Ali probably had secret-make-out-spots with every guy in town. How is this any different?"

"Because," Spencer says "This isn't just any guy were talking about. This is her secret older mystery man!"

Hanna makes a face "Fine. So we just look for evidence of Ali and an older guy?"

"Sure," Spencer says "Just look for anything."

"I just don't see how this will help us." Hanna grumbles.

"Just look, Hanna." Spencer sighs "Unless you have something better that will help us find out who A is."

We split up and walk in different directions. I come to the corner of the library, which is partially hidden by shelves of books. There sits the love seat that Alison wrote about in her diary.

I picture Ali, with her arms wrapped around a boy, while on the couch in front of me. I imagine the guy, whoever he was, with his hands on Alison's tiny waist. When I glance at the couch again, it sits unoccupied.

I run my fingers over the worn-out spines of the books, then sit down on the couch. An eerie feeling sweeps over me, knowing that Ali once sat in this very spot felt strange. Not only am I reminded of her every day in Rosewood, signs of her even show up in different towns.

"Did you find anything?" Emily whispers from a row over. I shake my head, what was I supposed to look for anyway? It isn't like we're investigating a murder scene.

As I turn away from Emily, I notice something white sticking out from in between the pages of a book. I slowly pull it out and unfold it. The paper in my hand flutters to the floor.

Emily walks over to me, looking concerned "Is everything alright?"

I pick up the paper again, just as Hanna and Spencer walk up to us. They all lean over to get a look at the note in my hands;

How many times do I have to tell you girls to STOP DIGGING? Quit the detective act now if you care anything about your 'dead' friend.

Kisses, -A