A Strikes Again

Later That Night
*Aria's Pov*

"Alright, the pet store is definitely my top choice." I decide, setting my phone down on the coffee table.

"Okay, we'll send your résumé in tomorrow." Ezra replies, putting his arm around me. I smile, happy that I'm finally going to be able to start helping Ezra with money.

"I'm excited," I admit happily "I really hope I get to work there. It would be a lot of fun with all the pets."

"You would be great working at a pet store," Ezra says "They'd be crazy not to hire you." Ezra kisses my forehead.

"I really hope they do," I say "Also, the pay is really good."

"It's a win-win situation." Ezra finalizes. As I open my mouth to reply, I hear my phone make the happy chime that is my text tone. I grab my phone off the table and turn it on, seeing I have a message from Hanna.

'Can you sleepover tonight? Spencer is busy, so it'll just be you and Em, but we need to figure this Lucas shit out.' The text reads. I chuckle quietly before making my decision and replying.

'Sure. What time?' I hit send.

'Idk you can come anytime.' Hanna replies almost immediately. I set my phone down and turn to face Ezra.

"Hey babe, I'm going to Hanna's tonight." I say, kind of feeling guilty to leave so suddenly.

"Okay," Ezra agrees "I can give you a ride if you want. I want to get a few things from the grocery store, anyway."

"Which I'm going to help pay for." I add "And sure, it'd be awesome if you gave me a ride."

"You can help pay when you get that job, but for now, I've got it." He says.

"Ezra!" I whine "You're making me feel so guilty not paying for anything!"

"You don't need to feel guilty, I'm fine paying. I promise." Ezra reassures me.

"But I'm not fine with you paying for everything." I complain quietly. Ezra sighs and pulls me into his arms.

"As soon as that pet store hires you, things will change. But for now, you're gonna have to live with not paying for groceries." Ezra says.

"But what if they don't hire me?" I ask.

"Then another place will." Ezra tells me. I sigh and decide to give up on this money topic. For now.

"Do you wanna get going?" Ezra asks, clearly dropping the topic too.

"Sure. Let me just grab my things." I reply. After quickly packing an overnight bag, Ezra and I head down to the car. The sun set about half an hour ago, but the summer air is still warm. We drive toward Hanna's, mostly in silence. When we pull into the driveway, I lean over and kiss Ezra, momentarily forgetting about any and all of my troubles.

"Have fun," Ezra says after we pull apart "Text me tomorrow and I can pick you up."

"Okay," I reply "I love you."

"I love you too," Ezra kisses my forehead "Both of you." He gently rubs my baby bump.

I get out of the car and smile at Ezra as he backs out of the driveway. I watch as the headlights of the car get smaller and smaller as Ezra drives down the now nearly pitch black road. The evenly spaced out streetlights lined up along the sidewalk hardly give off any light.

I walk up the short driveway to Hanna's front door, my overnight bag in hand. As I go to knock, I hear movement beside me.

"Hello?" I ask hesitantly, scanning the bushes. A shiver runs down my spine as I think of A. I knock quickly on Hanna's door, now freaked out.

"Hanna?" I call as I bang on her door. I don't hear footsteps coming from inside, but the loud sound of my heartbeat filling my ears may be drowning it out. I grasp the doorhandle, deciding that I'll let myself in. But when I try to push the door open, it won't budge. The door is locked.

"Hanna! Emily!" I yell, now terrified "Open the door!" I jiggle the handle quickly, hoping that it will somehow just suddenly open.

That's when I hear it again. The sound in the bushes. I turn to face them, looking for any movement, expecting the worst. When I see nothing, I face the other direction, not exactly sure where the sound is coming from. I don't see anything.

I hear footsteps, relieved that Hanna is finally coming to answer the door. But then I realize something: Those footsteps aren't coming from inside, they're coming from out here. I turn around, not sure where to look. That's when I see a person running at me, dressing head to toe in black. Before I have time to register anything, my head explodes with searing pain. The last thing I see is a metal bar before the blackness engulfs me.