Heading Home

Two Days Later
Aria's Pov

"Almost ready to leave?" Ezra asks.

"Yeah," I reply "I just have to sign a few papers before we do though." Today, we're finally allowed to take Piper home. She's healthy and doing great, with absolutely no problems. She's more amazing than I could have ever hoped, and I feel as if I've gotten to know her so much more in just these past couple days. For example, I already know that she loves being wrapped up tightly in a blanket, and will only feed from the left side when I breastfeed her. She loves falling asleep on people's chests, Ezra's especially. She'll spit out a pacifier right away, and hates wearing the little hats from the hospital. It's amazing to see all these cute little quirks that she's already developed at such a young age.

"You're coming home today, Piper." Ezra says to the sleeping baby in his arms "You're going to love it. We live in a cute little neighbourhood with a park at the end of the street for when you're older. And there's a big tree in the back yard that we can maybe build a treehouse in one day. Your bedroom is right across the hall from ours, not that you'll be sleeping in there for a while. You'll be sleeping in your bassinet right at the end of Mommy and I's bed, that way we'll be right there when you cry at night. Although I do have to say, you're such a wonderful baby, you only woke up once for about ten minutes last night. So far, you haven't made this whole parenting thing very hard at all. Keep up the good work."

"Keep up the good work?" I laugh.

"Yeah, Piper's a great baby." Ezra chuckles "I'm just giving her some words of encouragement so she stays one."

"Whatever works." I laugh.

After everything's packed and moved to the car, Ezra and I carefully put Piper into her car seat and wait for the doctor to come in with the papers I have to sign. I gently rock Piper's seat with my foot so she stays asleep, knowing that she'll probably wake up if I don't.

My doctor Mariah walks into the room, smiling happily. I look at the papers in her hand and get excited, realizing that we're just minutes away from leaving the hospital.

"Today's the day!" Mariah says "You and Piper get to go home. Are you excited?"

"Yeah, really excited." I reply, looking down at my sleeping baby girl.

"And you're still feeling okay," Mariah asks "Nothing's changed since I last asked you?"

"No, I'm still feeling fine." I reply truthfully.

"Just a little sore still, right?" She says.

"Yeah, a little." I admit.

"Don't worry, you'll be back to normal before you know it." Mariah reassures me "Just don't over-do it yet."

"Sure thing." I reply, giving her a small smile. She hands me the hospital release papers, which I quickly sign then hand back to her.

"Thank you Mariah." I say "For everything. I probably couldn't have done this without you."

"Aww, you did great Aria." She replies "You were a natural."

"Well I didn't feel very natural." I laugh.

"Most women don't." She chuckles "But I thought you did really good, especially for this being your first time to give birth. Keep me updated on the little princess, okay? She's beautiful, by the way."

"Yeah, I really love her." I reply, glancing down at Piper "And I will." Mariah crouches down in front of Piper's car seat, smiling as she does.

"Bye Piper." She whispers "Don't tell any of the other babies, but you're definitely the cutest." I chuckle, looking down at my sleeping daughter. I definitely agree with her.