2

Matt was making food in the kitchen when he heard your voice in the hallway. You had gotten back from class which he had to be at, but he skipped because he overslept and decided not to show up at all.

He found it weird you were having a conversation with someone in the hallway. You never socialised with the neighbours since most of them weren't friendly. Matt decided to walk out to see who it was, just in time, you came in and closed the door behind you.

"Oh you're up early" you said, taking off your shoes.

"Did he check for attendance?"

"Nope. But if you want to pass the class, I recommend going to class"

"I always pass" Matt said and you mumbled about how impressed you were. But he wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or not.

He watched you sit on the couch, smiling for no reason. He assumed it had something to do with the conversation you were having earlier, so he asked who you were talking to.

"Oh you don't know?" She asked. "We got a new neighbour"

Matt took another bite of his sandwich. "Someone moved in to the apartment next door? Isn't that place haunted?"

"That guy moved away. He didn't die"

"That's what they want us to believe" Matt said and you put your hand up to your face. "So, what's this new neighbour like?"

"He's hot"

Those words nearly had Matt choking on his sandwich. He couldn't die before he saw this guy you thought was hot. He didn't respond, the look on his face was saying enough

"What?" You laughed. "You're allowed to say that about a girl, why can't I say it about a guy?"

It was normal for Matt to tell you about hot girls he saw. He did it all the time. But this was the first time he heard you do it. Someone not him. So yes, Matt was offended.

"Whatever" Matt scoffed. "I bet he's not that hot"

Unfortunately for Matt, he was that hot.

Matt saw him in the evening when you asked him to take out the trash. They didn't make conversation or make eye contact, but Matt remembered his face. The guy was tall and tan, his hair was pushed back and his eyes were brown. He was also a lawyer and living alone.

Matt heard all the gossip from another lady in the building. Normally, Matt was confident about his appearance, he wasn't self absorbed, but he knew he was blessed with good looks. He felt intimidated by his new neighbour, the guy you thought was hot.

~

The next morning, Matt woke up before you. He wanted to go to class with you incase you ran into that guy and lost the ability to think. Matt attending a class wasn't the most shocking thing, the most shocking thing was your outfit. His jaw dropped when you came out of your room.

This was not the Y/N he knew. You were wearing a short skirt, that was so tight you couldn't even move in it. Your hair was in a high ponytail and you had makeup on. Today, you went all the way with your cherry lips and Matt couldn't help but gawk at you.

"I know what you're going to say. Don't" you glared at him, fixing your skirt.

Matt didn't feel okay with you going outside in a skirt that short.

"What did you paint on your face?" Matt scoffed, crouching down to your level.

"It's called makeup. Look it up" You put your hand on his chest and pushed him away.

"You look like a goof" he said. It wasn't the full truth, but you didn't need to know. "Are you wearing this for that guy?"

"Beck. His name is Beck. I need to look decent if I see him"

"Define decent"

"Shut up and get your car keys. We're going to be late"

Matt cursed under his breath and grabbed his big coat on the way out. In case of an emergency, he had to make sure you were safely covered up.

~

It was Saturday and you were out of the apartment. You were babysitting a kid in the building and Matt got up late and enjoyed his time alone. When he came back from his brothers, he ran into Beck. This time, he noticed Matt. "Morning"

Matt said it back, not wanting to be rude. But as Matt took out his keys to open his door, he could feel the older guy sizing him up.

"You're Matt, right?"

"How do you know my name?" Matt turned around and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Y/N told me"

Matt always wondered if you ever talked about him with other people when he wasn't around. Now, he knew that you did. As much as he wanted to leave the conversation, he wanted to hear more from Beck.

"She told me she had a roommate called Matt. You two go to the same college?"

"Did she mention I was her boyfriend?"

Beck seem shocked, but Matt was more shocked by his words. He couldn't take them back, so he had to ignore the voice in the back of his head and went on with the lie.

"I am her boyfriend. You've been talking to my girl a lot lately and I don't like it. The flirting has to stop, okay?"

"Flirting?" Beck raised his eyebrow. "We don't flirt"

He held up his hand, showing Matt the ring on his finger. "I got engaged last week"

Matt wished he could dig a hole and live there for the rest of his life. He didn't know how to react to the news. Beck was already engaged, so he wasn't after you.

"Congratulations.." Matt cracked an awkward smile and avoided eyed contact. "Sorry, I thought.."

"No. I get it" Beck said. "She's a lovely girl. She's a keeper"

"She is lovely" Matt nodded, admitting it to himself and agreeing with Beck. It didn't take a genius to figure out he was head over heels for his room mate. For someone who'd been in love for so long like Beck, it couldn't be more obvious

"I'm sure you trust her" He told Matt. "Most of our talks were about you"

Matt's eyes went wide. "What did you talk about?"

Beck opened his mouth, but his phone ringing cut him off. He excused himself to take the phone call. He promised to speak to Matt again, but Matt never got to find out what you and Beck spoke about.

~

You seemed disappointed when you heard Beck was engaged. But you weren't devastated, so Matt was relived.

On Monday, you went back to your everyday makeup and outfit. It was more...you. Awkward, simple, sweet Y/N, who never had to try hard, but always looked good in his eyes.

You both met Beck in the hallway that morning. This time, he was with another guy.

"Hey, guys"

"Hey" Matt smiled widely and you looked at him confused. You wondered why his attitude changed all of a sudden. "This is my fiancé, Adam"

"Your fiancé?" You gasped and Matt couldn't be more thrilled. He shook Adam's hand and introduced you both.

"You two must be the cute couple next door. Beck kept mentioning you guys" Adam said, with a huge smile. "We should go on a double date soon"

"That's a great idea" Beck agreed.

Matt looked at you. You weren't angry, you were just startled, trying to figure out why Beck told his fiancé that you and Matt were a couple. In a rush, Matt grabbed your elbow and pulled you with him.

Once you were both alone in the lift, you laughed. "I can't believe they thought we were a couple"