40

"I told you we shouldn't have come here" Matt whispered to you, and you shushed him, not wanting to draw attention. Maybe Matt was right. You followed Lilly here so she wouldn't hurt Maya, but right now, they were just talking.

On the way to see Maya, you hoped her getting married on the same day as Lilly was a mistake because you believed Maya had no intention of ruining Lilly's day.

"You want to know why I did that?" Maya asked, leaning back against her couch. "By the time I finish listing all the horrible things you did to me since we met, Y/N will have already delivered her baby on my couch. I don't like you"

"I'm not pregnant" both Maya and Lilly turned to look at you. "That was.. a false rumour. We're not here to talk about me, so..I guess I'll stop talking"

"It's okay, we're done here" Maya shrugged, but Lilly stopped her as soon as she stood up.

"What's wrong with you?" Lilly said, standing up too. "I mean, why now? You used to be-"

"Easy to pick on?" Maya scoffed. "I've always put up with you, Lilly because we all wanted to believe there was something good about you. Then I told you about my fiancé and what did you say?"

You shifted your eyes between the two, not knowing what to do to stop this conversation. Matt bit his nails with anxiety, looking down at the floor as he leaned into whisper to you. "I remember. I was there"

"Yes, Matt was there" Maya said. "Tell her, Matt. What did she say?"

Matt didn't want to be part of this, but now he was. "Uh..Maya told us she was engaged and Lilly told her she was a dumbass, who only got engaged for attention"

"That's not it!" Maya jumped in, before Lilly could talk. "She said she didn't want to come to the wedding because it wouldn't last longer than a month"

"Are you kidding?" Lilly laughed. "You're engaged to a guy you barely know. Don't make me out to be a bad guy when I tried to be a good friend and tell the truth"

"See?" Maya laughed, putting her hands on her hips. "Everything has to be about you. You can't stand other people getting more attention than you. I'm done being your minion"

You could imagine steam coming out of Lilly's ears, but what she said shocked everyone. "Fine, you want me to apologise? I will if it means you'll give back the venue"

"Is she kidding?" Matt whispered to you, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"I'm not kidding" Lilly told him, staring at Maya. You were rebuilding your hope when you saw Maya's expression change.

"It's too late for that. Find somewhere else or change the date"

Lilly clenched her fists and stepped forward.

"You'll be sorry" Lilly said, between gritted teeth. Lilly pushed Maya aside and left the room.

You and Matt shared a look of confusion, not wanting to get involved, so you rushed out as fast as you could.

"I'm glad it didn't end with Lilly going to jail" Matt sighed, stepping into the elevator, but the look on your face made him concerned.

"Who said it was over?"

~

Just like Nate and Matt, you didn't want to get involved in Lilly's and Maya's business. You never wanted to get involved with anyone's business.

You hadn't seen Lilly in a week and you'd been caught up with work to give her a call. You didn't worry because Lilly always knew how to look after herself. But that was until you and Matt talked to David one morning.