5

It had been a rough day for Matt.

He spent his afternoon in the library studying, then spent two hours in the gym before taking the bus home because his car had broken down. He couldn't wait to see you and complain about his day. But, the first person he saw in the apartment wasn't you, it was a stranger sitting on his couch.

"You're home!" You walked out of the kitchen, smiling. The guy stood up and walked towards Matt. He shook Matt's hand as if they'd known each other for a long time. Matt already hated him.

"You must be her roommate. Nice to meet you"

Matt turned to you, and you could sense the awkwardness. You stepped forward. "Conor, this is Matt. Matt, this is Conor, an old friend"

"Ex boyfriend"

"Ex boyfriend?" Matt repeated with wide eyes. He waited for you to laugh and say it was a joke, but you nodded and confirmed it was true.

Conor was your ex boyfriend.

You didn't talk about past relationships so Matt always thought you'd never been in one. But now he knew you had an ex boyfriend, who looked..not so bad and was here in person.

"We dated for two years in high school" the look on Conor's face irritated Matt.

"We ran into each other in that cafe down the street"

"So when are you leaving?"

"Matt!"

"What?" He shrugged. "He can come over another time" hopefully never again. "It's late and we have to make dinner"

"Would you like to stay for dinner, Conor?"

"Yes-"

"No!"

Conor and Matt said at the same time, glaring at each other. Matt could see you had your arms crossed over your chest, not pleased by his behaviour. All Matt cared about was getting Conor out of the apartment.

Matt knew he was selfish. He wanted to be the only one you cooked dinner with, the only one you talked to about your day. It was the way Conor was looking at you too. So Matt didn't care what history you had with this guy, his job was to protect you.

"It's okay, Y/N. I suppose it may be inconvenient for you two if I stay for dinner"

"Thank you" Matt mumbled under his breath.

"So, you're leaving now?" You asked, looking disappointed.

"How about I take you for dinner tomorrow night?"

"What?" Matt looked away from Conor to you, who didn't think twice about saying yes.

"That was a terrible idea" Matt groaned when Conor left. Normally, you'd be saying this to him, not the other way around. This is bad, he thought to himself.

"We're just two old friends having dinner. Why is it a terrible idea?" You asked going back into the kitchen.

"Not friends. Ex's! Going out with your ex is never a good idea!" Matt tried to stay calm but you were testing his patience. You ignored his look and opened up the fridge for a drink.

"How did you two break up?"

"Excuse me?"

"How did you break up?" He asked again, staring at you. "You never told me about him. You dated him for two years"

You put your glass down and he continued. "I know you. You told me about high school friends, leaving out the guy you dated. What happened between you?"