41

"Guys I think-"

"Stay out of this, Nick!" You yelled and Nick sat back down. He, Chris and Maya hadn't seen you this angry since New York, when you found out Matt was sharing a room with his female colleague. You held it in, pretending to be okay with Sam in your home. But as soon as she left, you exploded.

"Let me explain, please! I didn't lie to you!" Matt stood in your way before you could go into the bedroom. He took your hand and you pulled it away.

"You kept a secret from me! That's worse than lying!"

"Only for a day-"

"Because I found out today! If she didn't come here, who knows how long you'd have kept this from me?" You yelled at him, knowing you shouldn't be having this argument in front of your friends. "You made a vow and you swore you'd always be honest with me, but you keep secrets from me all the time and I'm sick of this!"

Matt was scared. What did you mean by 'sick of this'? Of him not being honest? Or the marriage? You took a deep breath and closed your eyes.

"I just..I'm not mad at you because I think you're cheating on me. I'm mad because you used to hook up with her and now she's your assistant and you didn't bother to tell me"

"You were stressed with work and Lilly's wedding. I didn't-"

"Stop" you said, pointing a finger at him. "Stop saying you kept this from me because that's what's best for me. It's not" Matt's heart was pounding as he waited for you to say what he was afraid of.

And you did.

"If we weren't married, I'd be packing my bags right now" Matt felt numb as you walked into the bedroom and slammed the door in his face.

He turned back to the others who sat quietly on the couch and stared at him with their mouths shut. He thought he should say something, maybe apologize for making them feel awkward, but when he parted his lips, a notification on his phone got his attention. It was a text from Nate.

Nate: Don't tell her now.

"Sorry guys, give me a minute"

Matt: too late. Y/N already met her.

Nate: shit..

Nate: does she know about the kid?

The last thing you had said to him before you stormed off were on replay in his mind, and he didn't want to think about what you would do if you found out about the kid.

~

Matt was proud of how even in the worst situations, he could stay calm. But now, he lost it. He paced back and forth for ten minutes and he didn't think he could stop, not when his mind was racing.

"I don't know why you're freaking out, it's not like she said the kid was yours"

"That's why I'm freaking out! She doesn't know who the father is. The kid could be mine!" Matt cried, gripping his hair. "How could this be a coincidence?"

Nate nodded and sighed. "Didn't you use protection when you hooked up?"

"I did, I'm not an idiot" Matt stopped pacing and put both hands on his hips. "Fuck! I'm married and I can't escape my past"

"Maybe you're right. This can't be a coincidence"

"Exactly!"

"Or she's a gold digger"

Matt looked at Nate, confused as he took a second to take in his words. "What do you mean?"

"How can't you see?" Nate stood up from the bed. "She heard about you taking over your Dad's company, she applied for a job to make it look like a coincidence and told you about the kid to make it look like it was yours"