21

"Do you want to keep this?"

You held up a set of old books you found in Matt's closet and tried not to step on random things as you walked closer to him.

Matt picked up one book , looked in the inside and put it back inside the box. "They can go"

"I know an bookstore that may want them" you told him, putting the box down. "Do you think we're keeping too many things?"

"You're the one who wouldn't let me throw away stuff, especially the Christmas decorations"

"Christmas isn't a one time thing, Matt! We can reuse them"

"You may as well pack this whole apartment to take to our new one"

You rolled your eyes and sat down on the floor. Matt was right, she should get rid of things you haven't touched in a long. Throwing something away in this apartment made your heart sting, because everything here was a memory of you and Matt and you weren't ready to let go just yet.

"I can't believe this is happening" you mumbled, taking a box out from under Matt's bed. Matt sat down beside you on the floor.

"You said the same thing last week at our graduation" he told you, laughing at your expression.

"It's not me. Everything is moving too fast" you said, sighing.

It feels like you met yesterday and college was already over. Matt seemed happy to be leaving to go to a bigger place. You struggled to let go and start again.

"What?" You asked, catching Matt staring at you.

"I'm thinking about our new life together" He said, making you smiled, but then raised his eyebrows, which made you confused. "You know, it's not to late for you to back out"

"You said that when we met!"

You smiled at him, then went back to looking in the box between your legs. This one was full of old clothes, some Matt hadn't worn in years. You pulled out a sweater that had a huge Santa on it. It was extra, but that's why you bought it.

"I got you this for our first Christmas here" you showed him, smiling and he groaned.

"Oh god"

"It's cute! How come you haven't worn it since?"

"It's too..much"

You pouted and shoved the sweater back into the box. "Fine! If you hate my gift so much I'll throw it away"

Matt was amused as you pretended to be sad. Before you closed the box, he pulled it from you and took the sweater out. Without saying a word, Matt put it on.

You couldn't keep a straight eyes anymore. You threw your head back and laughed, then agreed he looked silly in it.

While you folded shirts that didn't fit Matt anymore and put them in a separate box. Matt couldn't stop staring at you. He liked to watch you when you were looking, to admire how cute you looked.

"Let's go out tonight and celebrate moving out!" Matt broke the silence between you both, causing you to look up.

"I wish I could"

"Do you have plans?" He asked, a bit disappointed because he thought you'd spend the last night in this apartment together.

"My boss asked me to meet a client. I couldn't say no, I've only been there for a week" you told him, laughing to lighten up the mood, but Matt nodded.

Matt seemed let down and you didn't blame him. So you hugged into him and lay your head on his shoulder.

"How about tomorrow?" You suggested. "If we can't celebrate moving out, we can celebrate us moving in"

"Okay" he said, looking at you.

"Are you not mad at me anymore?"

"You're lucky you're cute" he sighed, leaning in and kissing your lips. How could be ever he mad at you?

"Is everything okay?" You mumbled

"I just love you so much.." he admitted, looking to the side. "I had a nightmare last night"

"Yeah? What about?"

"You were leaving me. You said we didn't spend enough time together and there was nothing I could" Matt frowned, remembering the awful dream he had. "I know I've told you that I couldn't wait to start our new life, but I'm really scared"

"You are?"

"We're not students anymore. You have your new job and I'm busy with mine. We won't spend as much time together anymore. What if everything changes when we move out? I don't want you to leave"

"Matt, look at me" you spoke softly and he looked at you.

You gave him a reassuring smile and stroked his cheeks.

"We've been through so much. We were in different countries for three much and we're still here, aren't we? Do you think we're going to break up because we're busy people now?"

Matt didn't say anything, but he was smiling.

"This is not the last chapter. We're gonna be so happy when we move into our new apartment. Nothing has to change" you rolled your eyes, laughing. "You're the only man that I love, and we're still us"

Matt held your hands on his cheeks and nodded. "You're gonna love me no matter what?"

"Hey, I've loved you since you were an oblivious asshole. How hard can it be now?"

"That's a good point"

You smiled at your boyfriend and pulled him in for a hug. Maybe now, you were ready to say goodbye to this apartment. This was your home, but home wasn't a place, it was a person. As long as you had Matt, you knew you'd be okay"

~

"I'll be late for work every morning just to stay in this soft bed, but it'll be worth it" you said, closing your eyes as you sunk into the warm bed covers.

Matt, who was smiling at you, decided to get in with you. He fell down beside you and reached out to hold your hand.

"We made it" you whispered, running your hand through his hair. "I'm so proud of us"

"I can't wait to start our new life here"

You opened your mouth to reply, when you were interrupted by someone coughing at the bedroom door.

"This looks cosy"

You both looked at the entrance and saw Nate and Lilly staring at you both.

"While you guys were relaxing, my boyfriend and I were cleaning your kitchen"

"Sorry, Lilly. I'm coming!" You laughed, standing up from the bed, following her out of the room. Nate and Matt exchanged looks when you and Lilly left the room.

"So" Nate began, and judging from the look on his face, Matt knew what he was going to ask. "When are you going to give it to her?"

"I'm not sure" Matt said, standing up from the bed. "When the moment is right"

"And when is that?"

"Maybe not right after we've just moved into our new place?" Matt laughed and so did Nate. "I'll wait until she's settled with her new job. I need to do it right"

"I'm proud of you, dude"

"I'm not"

Matt and Nate almost screamed when they heard Lilly's voice. Nate turned and received a death glare from his girlfriend. Matt froze, hoping she didn't hear anything.

"You aren't what?" Nate swallowed and Lilly rolled her eyes.

"I'm not proud of you either! You're gonna let Y/N and I clean the whole kitchen?"

"No" Matt told her, feeling relieved. "Nate, you go. I have to pee"

"Hurry!" Lilly said and walked away. Nate followed her to calm her down.

When they were out of sight, Matt put his hand in his back pocket and took out a small box he was keeping a secret. He put it in the bottom drawer in the closet, at the back, under his folded clothes.

He needed to hide it, until you were both ready.